Rear AC / Heat making clicking sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear AC / Heat making clicking sound

tominjax

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
My 2002 rear air is making a clicking sound when I turn the temp setting to highest cold or highest heat setting. If I back the dial off to about 3/4 of the way (cold or heat) the clicking sound stops.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the compressor in the rear driver side what is clicking? If so, it's your blend door actuator. It's a motor and gear assembly that controls a flap that controls hot or cold air flow. This is a very common problem, because the motor is high torque, and eventually ends up stripping the gears inside of the assembly. The clicking you hear is the gears slipping. You can pick up a blend door actuator for less than $50. If you take it to the dealer to have them fix, I have heard it's quoted around $800 to fix. I am 21 with basic mechanical knowledge and I did mine in about an hour and a half. I know there's several write-up's on here on how to fix it.

Mine is out again for the third time. There is two actuators in the rear. I am looking for the part numbers to replace them. The faulty one when looking at the AUX ac is the right one, closest to the driver. Does any one have a part number?

2002 ford explorer.

there are two:
1. Controls airflow top or bottom = 1L2Z 19E616-BA CROSS SHAPED SHAFT
2. Controls temperature = 2L2Z 19E616-BA D-SHAPED SHAFT

My local dealer here in Reno wanted almost $240 for this two parts, but both of these parts are available at a great price ($127 including shipping) at OEM FORD PARTS ONLINE. Here is the web address: parts-jackyjones@emails.revolutionparts.com

Back