• Register Today It's free!

rear add a leaf

ricks94

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I was considering a 4" suspension lift and I was wondering what your thoughts are on rear add a leafs. Mainly since I don't really have the ability to switch the rear axle to below the leaf springs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think if you add a leaf and you don't have the springs on top of the axle you wont get any lift just a stronger set of springs. Don't quote me on this I just don't see that working.

the rear add a leaf adds 2 inches to the rear , as it replaces a spring in the pack ,
so with a set of warrior shackles,and add a leaf, you should get about 3 1/2 inches of lift total , providing the springs you are adding the leaf to are not bagged out,,
the front is easier to get 4 inches of lift , a set of f-150 coil seats , and a bit more spring,and 4 inches is done,, you could do 4 inches or close at both ends fairly cost effective,,

I was thinking about adding a leaf to the bottom not the top. Sorry not thinking str8.

I don't think the springs are wasted yet.. With add a leafs and shackles I might be able to install a 4" lift to the front then?

I have seen 5.5 suspension lift kits and they say rear axle kit included but I'm assuming that would require cutting and re-welding correct?

I just added 2 ranger leaves to each spring pack in my 99 limited and got 3.5 inches of lift in the rear. Been driving it for 3 weeks and no settling.

with the SUPERLIFT Spring Over Axle kit # 1160. Has tabs that will rest on the current perches. No welding, however welding is suggested as the brackets have slight play...................

I found another thread here about that rear Superlift axle kit. I like that idea for the rear axle..

Back