Rear Air Conditioning - Can I set a temp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Air Conditioning - Can I set a temp?

DraftEdison

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT 202A AWD
Hi All,
This may not be the right place for this question but I am asking it anyway.... Is there a way to set the rear air conditioning to a certain temperature? I have my dog in the back often and she can't tell me if she is hot or cold, short of panting! One day before I realized how the system worked I about killed her when I had the heat on in the back instead of the air... Thoughts? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you read the section in your Manual on Rear Passenger Climate Controls?
It says control knob C Temperature control: Control the temperature of the air circulated in your vehicle.
What I don't know is if it changes the temperature set on the main display or not. I doubt that it is capable of having one temperature setting for the front and another for the back. As far as I know the Dual Control relates to driver and passenger sides, not front and back. If that is incorrect I would welcome the correction.
If you have the climate settings set to front and rear I'm sure that if you are comfortable the dog likely would be too.

Peter

This is how it worked in my 2014 and 2017 Limited's. You cannot set a specific temperature for the rear. The rear temp is based on the driver setting. Example, if driver is set at 72 and rear controls are activated, you can go + or - several "notches" on the control to make it warmer or cooler than what the driver is set at. Not sure if it works the same with the XLT.

Hi All,
This may not be the right place for this question but I am asking it anyway.... Is there a way to set the rear air conditioning to a certain temperature? I have my dog in the back often and she can't tell me if she is hot or cold, short of panting! One day before I realized how the system worked I about killed her when I had the heat on in the back instead of the air... Thoughts? Thanks
There isn't an actual temperature to set it at (like in the front), but as far as I know based on family feedback and in this video you can set a different temp for the rear cabin versus the front cabin. It's just more 'guesswork' without an actual number displayed. The rear cabin discussion is towards the end of the video. And while we don't have cooled seats everything in the video applies outside of that.

(I hope I read your question right. I woke up to a massive headache and my brain might not be functioning properly yet. :) )

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync...fort.html?year=2017&model=Explorer&sync=sync3

And I just realized what I said might not apply because I'm basing my comments of Sync 3 and not MFT.

And I just realized what I said might not apply because I'm basing my comments of Sync 3 and not MFT.
So you're saying you may be 'out of sync' with your comment.:D

Peter

Thanks everyone! When you say "rear controls are activated" do you just mean "on"?

Back