• Register Today It's free!

Rear Air Control PIU?

shawncas

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Police
Apologies if discussed.. Went 10 pages deep before posting this. Recently purchased a PIU.

Is there a way to enable to rear air without the civilian model console?

I did install the OEM console found here locally, unfortunately, the wiring harnesses were not the same as the civilian. Got the DC current to work, but no USB, rear controls, etc....

Getting quite warm back there and obviously the rear controls are void since no traditional console.

Appreciate the input all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apologies if discussed.. Went 10 pages deep before posting this. Recently purchased a PIU.

Is there a way to enable to rear air without the civilian model console?

I did install the OEM console found here locally, unfortunately, the wiring harnesses were not the same as the civilian. Got the DC current to work, but no USB, rear controls, etc....

Getting quite warm back there and obviously the rear controls are void since no traditional console.

Appreciate the input all
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't believe this topic has come up before. Hopefully someone will be able to asist.

Peter

You might be able to glean some info from the installation instructions for K9 compartments.

2 Ford dealers in my city. Neither one, any idea..

Fact is, need the harness from the civilian model to run to the new civilian center console we had installed.. To allow operation of the rear air... (From what I can gather.)

Anyone have a part number or thought on ordering this harness? Could care less about the USB and such from the console, or the Sync replacement, just wanting the air.

Crazy enough. This was a K9 vehicle.. Cannot fathom it not working with them having pups in it.....

2 Ford dealers in my city. Neither one, any idea..

Fact is, need the harness from the civilian model to run to the new civilian center console we had installed.. To allow operation of the rear air... (From what I can gather.)

Anyone have a part number or thought on ordering this harness? Could care less about the USB and such from the console, or the Sync replacement, just wanting the air.

Crazy enough. This was a K9 vehicle.. Cannot fathom it not working with them having pups in it.....
Try this site; https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/ or http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/auto-parts/

Peter

I'm not as familiar with the older PIUs, but do they have the same rear HVAC as the 16/17's?

My 17 has the optional Aux Overhead Heater And A/C in the rear and has a manual rear control right in the dash, under the main HVAC control panel. When I looked at retail center consoles with the rear HVAC controls, it looked like the harness would plug right in to the open harness up front, but I didn't verify as I went with a PIU center console.

Does the control panel on the rear of the retail Explorer center console control the optional rear HVAC or does it just control floor vents off the main HVAC system?

My understanding was that it was recommended to order the optional rear HVAC for K9 units, but I've seen more than a few that didn't do that and apparently relied on the main HVAC to keep things warm/cool.

So 2 things here I'm confused about. you HAVE the AC rear unit in your vehicle already(vents are installed in the headliner and compressor/blower is behind the very rear drivers side plastic panel ahead of the rear hatch?) Second, you have no dash control of the rear underneath of the CD unit opening?
That's a very, very odd configuration for a PIU to have rear installed A/C and no front control on the dash under the CD player. Mine has rear A/C and is equipped with front controls and a switch that will transfer the controls IF they were present on a harness. I too installed a civilian console and have rear controls but no wiring harness that it will plug into. Not worried about it since I have the front.

Just making sure were not spinning our wheels here for a vehicle feature you don't have factory equipped already. Thad be a pretty massive add on LOL

Cheers!

BatDoctor. Not sure if there is a compressor and such in the rear, but will look tomorrow. All I know is, I have the 2 ceiling vents behind the 2nd row.. My dash does not have any controls for a rear AC.. ONLY front AC controls.

Perhaps the vents are there but no rear unit?? Shocking considering this was a K-9 car...

Another way to be sure is to look under the car, there are two aluminum lines running from the Engine compartment to that area of the rear, behind the rear tire area.

If you don't have rear climate controls on the front HVAC control panel you don't have a separate rear system.

Bumping this thread up, as I have the same question. My '16 PIU has rear vents in the ceiling (but no rear A/C). There are no controls for the rear vents at all, and nothing comes out of the vents with the system. Even if there is no A/C installed, should there be fan controls for the rear? Maybe they were part of the original center console with all the other controls?

It appears that if you have no rear AC system, which would be the case if You do not have rear controls in center stack, you have nothing. They apparently use the same headliner in every unit. In this video at 5:25 you can see that the rear vents are fed from the driver side B pillar area, which would be above where the rear blower motor and evaporator coil would be.

Yes, all headliners have the vents no matter if they have the rear a/c option. Most PIUs do not have rear air, if equipped the front IC will contain rear controls at the bottom like the retail versions

Is there ducting from the headliner that runs to where the AC would normally be or at least to the edge of the roof by chance? That might be enough for me to wire up my own solution for at least air flow.

The headliner yes, the D pillar no.

Hmmmm. Adding this to my list of potential projects. If i can run my own ducting to the headliner ducting, I can toss a blower fan into the space where the A/C normally goes, and i believe there is power run right there as well.

I know my pups wouldnt mind it, though the front AC is pretty decent.

BatDoctor. Not sure if there is a compressor and such in the rear, but will look tomorrow. All I know is, I have the 2 ceiling vents behind the 2nd row.. My dash does not have any controls for a rear AC.. ONLY front AC controls.

Perhaps the vents are there but no rear unit?? Shocking considering this was a K-9 car...
Hello. Was this ever figured out? I have the same vents but no way to control or turn on the rear...

Hello. Was this ever figured out? I have the same vents but no way to control or turn on the rear...
If you don't have rear controls on the center stack then its not equipped with rear A/C. In models with rear A/C the rear console controls are optional & default control is on the center IC. I have personally never seen a PIU with the rear AC option unless it also has the government administrative option, though it is available for all models.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't have rear controls on the center stack then its not equipped with rear A/C. In models with rear A/C the rear console controls are optional & default control is on the center IC. I have personally never seen a PIU with the rear AC option unless it also has the government administrative option, though it is available for all models.
So even if I add the control unit it will not work? Is there a way to show you a picture here?

Back