• Register Today It's free!

Rear axle diff Q´s

SuperSwede

Reaction score
City, State
Småhåla,skogen
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4.0
Yesterday I decided to change all oils in my -91 Navajo and started with the rear diff. When I removed and started to clean the cover from old oil I noticed a square section (turned out to be a magnet) that was covered with something looking like thick lithium grease.

Q: Is the magnet supposed to be covered with some grease to aid catching metalshavings??, or was this a buildup of old gunk and oil? (don´t have clue when this oil was changed last? colour was grey/black/green and foamy)

Also, is there any suitable solvent to clean out the Diff housing and gears with before I pour in my new oil, as diesel,gasoline et.c?? Or should I just go with trying to wipe it as dry as possible with a lintfree cloth ?

Thanx!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wipe with a lint free cloth. DO NOT use any kind of solvent as it will dilute the gear oil if you miss absorbing any of it.

"DO NOT use any kind of solvent as it will dilute the gear oil if you miss absorbing any of it."

That's a good point, but does it apply to brake parts cleaner? That stuff seems to clean like crazy and vaporize in no time. Would it be OK to use that to clean a diff?

Mike

brake cleaner is the nastiest solvent you can use

brake cleaner residue will eat right through oil, it was designed to do that....

do not put brake cleaner to clean anything that comes in contact with oil

as for the magnet, if it is a poweder like gunk, then it is just metal, dont worry about it, when you need to worry is if you see big chunks of metal on it... that grime is finely ground metal and not need for worry

Good to know, thanks.

Same deal with carb cleaner?

Mike

dont use any cleaner, wipe it down, and be done

x2 -- dont worry about getting ALL of the oil out of the differential. Just let it drip out for maybe 10 minutes and you should be good to apply the RTV and cover it up.

(Note: next question in the thread will be whether to use RTV, a gasket, or both :confused: -- just use the RTV :D)

ultra grey rtv is what i use

the material on the magnent is likely a combination of metal particles from wear and clutch material from your limited slip (Assiming you have one)

I use starting fluid to clean the inside of my differential cover, or Castrol super clean, and then wipe it with a rag...never had any issues with the rear diffs doing it this way.

Ok.. wiped the most of the old oil out and bolted the cover back on.Will fill it up and continue with the front tomorrow.

for the front on a 91 I would plan to pump the lube out through the fill hole. otherwise you have to seperate the front diff from the traction beam.... a big job

Simple hand pump will work, justs takes some time

How many quarts does it take to fill at 3.27 open rear diff on a '92 4x4?
I've got about 2.5 in there now and not near the fill plug yet. Looks like quite a bit of old oil came out, but not sure how full it was.
Thanks...

Just found the specs page...says 5.3 pints. Is that around almost 3 quarts??

You should be able to fit between 2.5 and 3 quarts of fluid in there.. 5.3 pins is over 2.5 but less than 2.75 quarts.. (and of course you never get it all out of the bottle).

~Mark

Back