Rear axle ratio - what is 'standard' ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear axle ratio - what is 'standard' ?

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
In my ongoing quest to learn about my 2001 XLT and ways to improve MPG, I've learned that my rear axle ratio is 4.10 and is limited-slip (ie 'D2' on the label on the inside driver's door).

What is standard equipment on 2001 XLT, V6, 4WD ?
(I assume 3.73, not sure about limited slip)
Do I have a 'towing package' ? (only have the 'bumper hitch hole')

How much work to switch to a more MPG-friendly ratio ?
Is this something that would improve MPG much ?
Maybe change it if other rear axle service is being performed ?

Thanks,
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no "standard" ratio. The higher end your truck is the higher the gear ratio. the stock gear ratio's are 3.27, 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10. Most explorer's with the premium package seemed to have come with 4.10s. a gear swap would be an expensive proposition running you easily 5-600 an axle. Explorer's in generally arent great on gas and even if you did change gear ratios i doubt you'd see much of a gain.

There is no "standard" gear ratio. You could have 3.27, 3.55, 373, or 4.10.

I would definitely not regear to a higher ratio. 4.10 gears benefit your truck more than just giving it increased take-off power.

The 4.10 is killing your mileage, I have the 3.73 and get 30 MPG on the road.

no, 4:10's arent killing his mileage. in fact, its probably BETTER around town than a higher gear would be. unless you do most of your driving over 75mph leave the 4:10's alone. your looking at almost $1000 to do a gear swap. if you go from averaging 14mpg to averaging 14.5mpg, it would take a long time to recover that $1000 in gas money.

I respectdully disagree.

Further, there is a lot more to better mileage than just gears.

Originally posted by aldive
The 4.10 is killing your mileage, I have the 3.73 and get 30 MPG on the road.

Originally posted by aldive
I respectdully disagree.

Further, there is a lot more to better mileage than just gears.

So which is it al? do they affect your gas mileage or not? you just contradicted yourself there.

most people average 15 around town and 20 on the highway with thier explorers, so far al is the only one who claims to have gotten 30 mpg out of his truck.

Davem,

If you do long distance driving, primarily highway, with light loads, then a 3.27, 3.55, or 3.73 differential would provide better gas milage. However, as has been mentioned, this is an expensive option. If fuel consumption is truely your concern, ditch the Explorer for a more gas-friendly vehicle.

I suspect like many on this board, you did not buy your Explorers for fuel economy.

aldive states he gets over 30mph on most of his trips. He has done some modifications to his truck which allows this, also, he is a 2x4, which makes a hugh difference in milage alone.

IMHO, don't switch out the differential unless you have both blow up for some reason.

Regards,
jetmaker

Originally posted by Doug
So which is it al? do they affect your gas mileage or not? you just contradicted yourself there.

Excuse me? How did I contradict myself.

I did not say to change the gears, I simply said that the 4.10 is hurting his mileage and that there are other ways to improve it.

4:10's are only hurting his mileage on trips and not around town. if an explorer is mainly used on interstate or spends most of its life traveling, then yes 3:55's or to a lesser degree 3:73's would provide better mileage. however, i would be willing to bet that the average explorer spends 75% of its time 60mph or slower driving around town. therefor, you actually have an advantage with 4:10's because you can use less pedal to get the vehicle to speed, and below 60mph use less pedal to maintain that speed. truth is, 4:10's only hurt on trips/interstate driving..... and even then they really dont "hurt" as bad as some would have you to believe.

my point is moot however, because like i said it would cost around $1000 to do a gear swap. there really is no point in spending that much money on 3:55's to gain 1-2mpg on highway and loose 1-2mpg in town. if better fuel mileage is desired, there are much more cheap and effective ways to do so. also, try a lighter foot. it works better than anything on the market, and its free too. :)

With 3.27's and a relatively stock size tire (29, 30 or 31), you have to gun the hell out of the truck to get it up to speed. This can't be good for in town mileage.

I agree with aldive and james. I have the 4:10 gearing and around town it burns less gas per mile than when I'm barreling down the highway at 70 mph.

Originally posted by Rhett Browning
With 3.27's and a relatively stock size tire (29, 30 or 31), you have to gun the hell out of the truck to get it up to speed. This can't be good for in town mileage.

you are absolutely right,

I have 3.27's in mine, and the in town gas mileage is terrible, but interstate driving is excellent,

one time i was able to get 180 miles on a half tank of gas on highways miles,

compared to slightly over 200 in town miiles on a full tank

no one gear will give you better milage it depends on your driving conditions which will give you the best milage

The gears should not hurt you that much on the highway because your engine will be under less load (more vacuum) at cruise than with higher (numerically lower) gears. In other words, your throttle position will be virtually the same. As mentioned, your in-town mileage might actually be better.

Does the 2001 have an independent rear axle? If not, the cost to swap is only about $175 parts + $200 labor.

he's 4x4. the cost will be $750-1000 depending on install labor.

What if he put on 31" tires, its cheaper than gears and would change his ratio some.

Originally posted by Rhett Browning

I disagree. I have 3.27's and 235's. I get 18 mpg city and 20 mpg highway. I have a heavy foot too.

i would swap ya?..i only have 3:73LS but i want 4:10LS..i could care less about gas..i want PEP..lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by JL 3x12 Xplorer
I disagree. I have 3.27's and 235's. I get 18 mpg city and 20 mpg highway. I have a heavy foot too.

Huh? How can you "disagree"? I was making a statement of fact about my truck.

That's what my truck does, ya have to gun it to have any get up and go because of the gearing. That's how my truck is. Once you get it up to 2500+ rpm it has excellent power, especially now with all my mods.

I don't know how flat or hilly Raleigh is, but 18 mpg in town is EXCELLENT, you should be commended, 18 mpg in town is the best I have heard of for an automatic transmission 4x4 Explorer with the OHV engine.

Back