• Register Today It's free!

Rear axle seal question

Kesp4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Hi everyone. Obviously I am new here but like yourselves I am a big Explorer enthusiast. Currently I am replacing the rear seals and brakes on a 1993 Explorer. I have read of two different ways to install the rear wheel seal on the car.

My question is, do I add grease to the seal where the axle meets the seal or no grease? I think my Haynes manual says to just place the axle in the shaft but I have read a few things online saying they add bearing grease to the axle and seal where they meet.

Any help is appreciated

A light coat of grease will be OK. Make sure you do not slide the axle shaft on the seal when you push it in.

Rear Seal Bolt

If you read the post on the rear seal replacement you probably know that the problematic bolt needs to replaced and not reused. I just coincidentaly picked one up yesterday at the Ford place. The number is D8BZ4241C according to my receipt. Cost is a whopping $2.88 plus tax.

Thanks guys. Yeah I saw that about the bolt. I am going to purchase a new one at O'Reillys, they're about the same price there. The one at VatoZone is 7.99! I have no idea why that is. Thanks again

Back