• Register Today It's free!

rear axle shaft bearings?

BK_89iX

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SOHC
Been getting a ton of generic driveline noise from my '97 explorer for the last couple of years (93k miles, SOHC, 4x4, 3.73LS). Had all four wheels up today to continue the investigation. For a long time I thougt it was the front, but now it is obvious that the REAR is the origin of the noise.

- Wheels off the ground, front driveshaft off, speedo indicating 10 or 35mph, good amount of bearing type contiuous noise from the rear. Can't isolate it to either R/L or center even while underneath on my back with my ear close.

- Manually rotating either wheel gives a bit of a grind sound and a definite notchy feel. By comparison, the front wheels turn silky smooth.

- Pulled the calipers and rotors. E-brakes look fine. Axles have 0.08" play up/down - noticeable up/down clunk checking for play.

- Pulled the diff cover a couple weeks ago to change the fluid for the first time...nothing obviously wrong inside to the untrained eye. Some pitting on the spider gears. Lots of gray junk on the fill plug magnet and a certain amount of what looked like gold or brass particles in the drain pan. Initial fluid level was good and I'm the original owner, so I know all service history.

Trying to figure out the best next steps here. Should I be thinking about axle shaft bearings and seals, or rebuild/replace the whole rear end?

BK

93k miles? I would think just axle shaft bearings/seals.. but anything could have happened... might even be a pinion bearing?

I had a PM about the outcome of this, so I thought I would update here and link to the rest of the saga in the tranny/differential area. Long story short I ended up rebuilding the rear end due to toasted carrier bearings. I also replaced the axles for good measure. It was a happy ending.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272694

BK

Back