Rear axle specification? Remanufactured axle leaking! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear axle specification? Remanufactured axle leaking!

J2s4RPPt3c4Z

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Expedition
Does anyone know what the OEM specification is for the surface of the right rear CV axle that rotates against the seal?

At the parts store, I was measuring ~46 mm (+/- 0.5mm) for the mating surface on two different "remanufactured" axles.

Rebuilt my differential, which included all new seals. Also replaced the right rear CV axle with a remanufactured one, and now it's leaking. Took it to a transmission shop, and they too replaced the seal a 2nd time, but the axle is still leaking. My guess is that the remanufactured axle is machined along the surface that rotates against the axle seal, such that seal and axle are not mating well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you using the redesigned cv axle seal? this seal doesn't require any protection when putting the half shaft in. the old seal requires you to put a protector anytime the seal is remove/replaced.

are you using the redesigned cv axle seal? this seal doesn't require any protection when putting the half shaft in. the old seal requires you to put a protector anytime the seal is remove/replaced.

No, I am not using the redesigned seals. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of this until after I rebuilt the differential and put everything back together. In any case, I can't imagine the redesign is related to my issue. The seal has been replaced twice, once by a competent transmission shop. I just can't see how the seal could have been damaged given the care w/ installing, etc.

Are you using the same axle with the seals? Sometimes the reman axles are taken down a hair less than spec, which causes the seals to leak. I work at NAPA and we occasionally get one at the store with that same problem.

Are you using the same axle with the seals? Sometimes the reman axles are taken down a hair less than spec, which causes the seals to leak. I work at NAPA and we occasionally get one at the store with that same problem.

I am using remanufactured axles. That's really the reason for my post. I worry the remanufactured axles are machined beyond tolerance, causing the leak.

The goal with my original question is to try an determine the specification of an OEM axle, so I can compare to the one I installed.

I am using remanufactured axles. That's really the reason for my post. I worry the remanufactured axles are machined beyond tolerance, causing the leak.

The goal with my original question is to try an determine the specification of an OEM axle, so I can compare to the one I installed.

You will need to measure the shaft's sealing diameter more accurately than +/- 0.5 mm, more like +/- 0.1mm. Then if you slip a new seal over the shaft (shaft removed, you will be able to tell if the shaft does not grip the seal lip. Interference between the lip and shaft should be at least 0.5mm, often more.

You MIGHT be able to find a compatible seal, if the shaft is too small, made with similar O.D. but smaller lip I.D., if you MUST use this same axle. This is an unlikely fix, though, as even if you found size compatibility, the elastomer (rubber) might not be rated for gear lube.

Another thought: If the seal grips lightly, or just shy of gripping, a tighter "garter" spring could compress the lip enough to grip the shaft. This would alter the angle of lip "attack" and might reduce seal life. This would be the easiest, quickest fix. imp

Back