• Register Today It's free!

Rear axle spider gears

gto78

Reaction score
City, State
stuart, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB 2wd v-6
Well I took the rear diff cover off to change the fluid and found that the old fluid is gray and swirly with metal flakes. The main gears are fine, but the spider gears are all pitted up and lumpy. I have stock 4:10 limited slip 8.8" gears. Does anyone have a web source that I can purchase just the spider gears from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your sig says you have an L/S, but you are asking about spider gears? If its open, then you can get a spider gear kit from a ford dealer. They may be available other places for less though. Most chain parts stores don't have diddly for diffs though.

the rear is a 4L10 something or another tag on it, and I was told it is a limited slip, also it always turns both tires on wet pavement or grass, not a one wheel peel. With that said, I opened the cover and between the two axles there are some smaller gears with a thick flat spring metal plate between them. It looks like traditional spider gears but a flat metal spring type plate between them. I believe thats what makes it a limited slip vs a Posi which doesnt have spider gears as we know them.

Have you checked with a Ford dealer? Last time I checked with them 2-3 years ago, they wanted ~$50 for a set of spider gears for a Trac-lock carrier. You may have to get the top set of numbers off the diff tag (axle model number) to get anything concrete out of them.

Ford is just about your best bet, outside of an eBay gear vendor that might have the parts. I got my limited slip clutches and steels from one eBay guy -- factory parts -- good deal. Not difficult at all to rebuild.

Back