• Register Today It's free!

rear blocks and towing.

conig

Reaction score
City, State
tallahassee fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 v8 xlt.
does anyone with a dropped explorer do any towing? if so what.

I am looking to lower my explorer and get 17's with 255-50-17 tires(I already have them from a previous truck) and want to reduce some of the wheel well gap when I put them on. im thinking an inch or preferable a 2 inch drop kit.

Im not towing alot of weight but an 8x12 cargo trailer with 1-3 quads on it. maybe 2500pounds on a good heavy day. I don;t mind if the truck is raked some but I don;t want to ride the bump stops if I can.

also does anyone make drop shackles for the explorer never seen them myself. I would prefer those don;t tend to increase wheel hop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have a dropped X cept for the nasty sag in the back (about 1.5-2" from bad leaves), but I did put a set up helper springs in the rear and it stiffened it up considerably. I don't hit the bump stops anymore and roll/ bounce is reduced. Also the back didn't drop at all when I loaded 600lbs into it recently. The helper springs don't add any tension to the leaves, which would raise it, but rather help keep the leaves from lowering any more. They state they add 1200lbs capacity and cost $25 at autozone/ pepboys. I would definitely give that a try. At a minimum it would help normal driveability by stiffening the rear.

you won't have any problem with a torsion twist in the front and 2" rear blocks. 2" drop is close enough to stock in the rear that it isn't a big concern. I towed an 18 and later a 20' boat like that for years.

thanks guys. I have a set of those helper spring s int he shed too.

thanks a bunch expo5.0 I had a feeling you did from looking at your pics but couldn;t find any posts about it.

yeah, its funny how out of date my pictures are on this site.

i haven't towed anything for 2 years...

wow. I figured at that point you may have been bagged thats why I asked. im going for the look you had when you had the 17inch kanes and the stripe graphic down the side. no boddy kit.

what was thatset up?

yeah, the pictures when i was monotoned with an explorer front end (both with white 18s and chrome 17s are a 2" drop) that is when i was towing with it.

here is the way it looked when it was last just that 2" drop, and one from today just for fun

Attachments

• bk5.JPG
    bk5.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 331

Back