• Register Today It's free!

Rear bolt on tow hook

Caejxr

Reaction score
City, State
My explorer eats money
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
So, I went to the junk yard and got some F-150 hooks (25$ with hardware,) I wanted to install the hooks just in the rear end since I plan on upgrading to a winch bumper some time in the future.

The holes in the frame that already exist are about 3 inches from the end and spaced about 4-4.5 inches apart or so. Problem is there was a big ol rivet for the rear cross member in the way of widening the hole slightly to fit the bolt through because the holes are farther spaced than the hook would allow.

I knew I was going to remove it so I got an angle grinder and got to work. Grinded the rivet down on both sides (just one didnt do the trick) and popped it out.

I figure the grade 5 bolts would be strong enough to hold that all together no problem. I still have yet to test the hook however. It sticks out about .5 inch behind the bumper and has about a 2 inch gap to the bottom of the bumper. I may cut a piece to allow for more access at a later time.

I'm wondering if anyone has done anything similar other than welding hooks on? Seems like there isn't a lot in the search for 2nd gen's and tow hooks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could put the factory 2nd gen rear tow hook on;)

9765Picture_123.jpg

factory tow hook???

factory tow hook???

Thats what Stic-o just put a picture of, but good luck finding one in the junk yard. I had the same idea with putting some tow hooks in the back since pick n pull sold be 4 tow hooks for $10 but, changed my mind when trying to mount them and just went with a receiver hitch.

The factory hook, IIRC, was only installed on the Sports. That's probably why they're tough to find... They also had to be removed if you installed a trailer hitch receiver.

That definately would have been easier. I like the size of the f-150 hook though. It's a littlt hard to tell from the picture there but it looks like the opening on the end is a little small.

The factory hook, IIRC, was only installed on the Sports. That's probably why they're tough to find... They also had to be removed if you installed a trailer hitch receiver.

They also came on 2wd sports. If looking in a JY, I would look for 98+ Sports, they really are kinda rare, I've really only seen a few including the one that came on my wife's '99 Sport when we had it.

ya i have one of those one mine, i want to keep it when i get the hitch

Ive got the 2000 4wd sport and It came with the factory tow hook

Here is another version of the Sport rear tow hook...

DSC003961.JPG
DSC003981.JPG

DSC003991.JPG
DSC003971.JPG

Back