Rear Brake Kits | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Brake Kits

skier87

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Just wondering if anyone knows of any kits to upgrade the factory rotors from the thin single rotors to something like the front dual layer rotors. i cooked thru a set of rear rotors in 3 months and really need something better. also wondering if anyone has heard of using the rotor and caliper from a different vehicle, i.e. f-150 or a newer ranger or explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure it's possible, did you google "explorer disk brakes?"
What are you doing thats cooking the rotor? I'm gotten fade a few times from driving really fast with a trailer down the back country roads around my house, but that's a pretty extreme situation for the brakes and would probably cause some issues regardless of what rotors/pads I run

What are you doing thats cooking the rotor?
x2 - unless you're towing, "cooking" rotors probably means there's a bigger issue in the brake system.

Yea cooking the rear brakes is very odd. if your rears are "cooked" what about the fronts?

although I believe you can get some high quality discs from RockAuto...

I checked and slotted, vented rear rotors are $86 a peice.

yes i was towing a lot of the time thats why i'm looking for something like a big brake kit

If that's the case, put trailer brakes on the trailer or maybe its time for a bigger vehicle cauz that much weight isn't doing your transmission and axle any good.

If the rear rotors went that fast how did the front ones hold up? Were they the same brand? I toasted a set of rear pads in 12k miles. I suspect my master cyl is shot, and its braking more with the rear brakes than the front. My front rotors and pads still look way to new for 25k miles especially because they were the cheapest parts at autozone. Maybe you could have an issue with this as well.

I also agree with IZ. If you have that much weight on a trailer that you are trashing rotors, a brake kit would work wonders. Also look into slotted rotors (not slotted and drilled, they are weaker). Slotted rotors help dissipate heat and improve stopping distance. Pair those with good quality pads, like hawk. That's about as good as an upgrade you can do on the ex without getting custom work and pretty expensive hardware.

How much weight is the trailer/cargo?
What kind of roads and how are you driving? What brand rotor and pads you using?

okay to answer multiple questions, front rotors were put on the same time as the rear, they were the NAPA ultra premium, front rotors look brand new no warping, no glazing, rear rotors are warped to the point that you can see it without removing them from the hub, all I've been towing is two snowmobiles on an aluminum trailer gross weight well under 1000 lbs, been driving on mostly back roads, but with my driving style i only use the brakes when i'm coming to a stop sign, its not like i'm attacking corners.

I wonder if the emergency brake was a little tight and heated the rotor?

I think this could be possible as well, but usually the e brake would wear down.

I still think you may be braking too heavily with the rear wheels. I think a bad master cylinder would cause that. I am pretty sure that is what is wrong with mine. Visibly more wear on the rear pads and rotors, mean while it should be opposite.

This is definitely an issue with your braking system. Attacking corners on back country roads with a 5x10 utility trailer, dirt bike, gear, tools, and extra parts (about 1100-1200 lbs) and all I get is some brake fade after a quite a few turns. BTW, all 4 wheels seem to get fade evenly.

Also, I'm running ford pads/rotors

well i can say for certain it isn't the e-brake since that was removed when a changed the rear rotors because it was hanging up on the old ones, will check the master cylinder it would be nice if it was that simple to fix

Back