Rear brake pad changout..

Texan01

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Sounds easy right?

After getting the wrong pads at Autozone, I went to exchange them for the correct ones.. their catalog is wrong. Anyway we went all over the Ford 8.8 and rear disc combos to find the right pads and wind up calling it a 2005 instead of a 1995.

Pads looked right, took them home and took the car apart. Apparently 3rd gen rear pads are larger than 2nd gens, but will go on and use more of the rotor towards the hub.

So if you are needing more swept area on the rear, try 3rd gen parts.

The only downside is the clips that hold the pad into the caliper bore are small, but I recall that happening with 2nd pads as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice to know. May want to use new rotors or have them turned or you'll get some nasty sounding grinding, at least till the untouched areas on the existing rotors are leveled out.

Nice to know. May want to use new rotors or have them turned or you'll get some nasty sounding grinding, at least till the untouched areas on the existing rotors are leveled out.

Yeah, there is that issue. Mine aren't that old, but do have some light surface rust that polished off... after pulling a 1500 pound trailer with 1,000 pounds of scrap steel to the recycler. Also living where rust really isn't much of an issue helps as well.

I looked and the fronts are different between the two years, wonder if its the same case, not going to worry about it yet.

I have replaced my pads on rear with Advance Auto Parts pads and their Wagner ThermoQuiet where the right size for the year.
Autozone carries only their brand "Duralast"... sorry, don't trust it.

It would be nice to see a pick of the 2 pads next to each other.

somethings not right here.

I have replaced my pads on rear with Advance Auto Parts pads and their Wagner ThermoQuiet where the right size for the year.
Autozone carries only their brand "Duralast"... sorry, don't trust it.

I got Duralast GOLD pads on my truck 2 years ago, they are about half way worn now, and they create A LOT of brake dust, but so do all semi metallic, They are pretty good, can' say anything for lower ones though.

i use AutoZone Duralast Gold ceramic pads on all my trucks. i'm very happy with the performance, wear and the best of all NO BRAKE DUST. i'm not saying they're any better than other premium brands, but they're just as good for everyday driving. i don't know who makes them for AZ, but i've never had any problems with their premium parts. the nice thing is you buy them once and AZ replaces them free forever. when you keep vehicles as long as i do, that savings adds up. i always use brake-quiet when doing brake jobs and have never had brake squeal with any brand.

I tend to get the best pads/shoes a place sells, and that's held well for me.

poSYy8K.jpg

You can see the area where the stock pads have worn the rotor down a bit, and the fresher area where the new pads have started to polish it up.

The stock pads extend to the bottom of the caliper in height, the 3rd gen pads extend beyond the caliper. this pic was taken this morning after I got to work.

After driving on them for a good 200 miles, brake feel is the same, stopping performance is probably the same. pedal is less scary feeling, since its higher up now.

I've found TRW Lucas to be a very good pad on all of my cars.
They can withstand almost as much heat as a track pad but they have a good initial bight and they work from cold with minimal dust.

Back