• Register Today It's free!

rear brake rotors

str8crzy

Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 sport trac xlt
Can someone please tell me how to take the rear disk brake rotors off on a 2005 explorer sport trac xls?

If you have the caliper off and the parking brake released they can be stubborn. Rear rotors tend to seize around the hub and studs. lots of spray penetrant and hitting firmly around the studs with a hammer will usually free it. Noisy but effective. If not, most auto parts stores rent hub pullers with a 100% refundable deposit upon return. Sometimes parking brake shoes will wear a groove in the rotor making removal very difficult. Before taking any drastic measures, remove the rubber parking brake adjuster plug and retract the shoes all the way.

if you have a hand-held torch, heat the area around the axle, hit the rotor with a hammer a few times and they will usually come right off.

If you have the caliper off and the parking brake released they can be stubborn. Rear rotors tend to seize around the hub and studs. lots of spray penetrant and hitting firmly around the studs with a hammer will usually free it. Noisy but effective. If not, most auto parts stores rent
hub pullers with a 100% refundable deposit upon return. Sometimes parking brake shoes will wear a groove in the rotor making removal very difficult. Before taking any drastic measures, remove the rubber parking brake adjuster plug and retract the shoes all the way.
Thanks for the advice. I backed the parking brake off and it did the trick with minimal pounding. I was about ready to break out the 5lb persuader!

Back