Rear brake upgrades | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear brake upgrades

hey guys, new here, and im sure im gonna catch some crap :)

i don't have an explorer.

i actually have a 98 5.9 Limited Jeep Grand Cherokee, lowered, sways, full exhaust, vortech @ 12#, 1800 stall converter, HID Retrofit, and an 8.8 rear out of a 96 explorer. best ET (pre-8.8) was 13.05@103 on a base tune (SCT)

well i just put my 8.8 in, after my D44al got turned into a boomerang after a run in with a feisty telephone pole.

pic related:
(lost photos)

anywho, i was told that the grand cherokee rear brakes woudl work on the 8.8 - well, almost.

i am using jeep cross drilled rotors (same as explorer), jeep calipers (looks to be the same, minus the piston wall thickness), and jeep pads (wont fit in the explorer calipers)

problem is, when i put the caliper/pads on, the slides dont match up - they are about 3/16-1/4" too far off, and i dont have a prayer of getting the caliper pins in.

SO, while i am looking at buying a new pair of calipers, and pads for an explorer, are there any worthwhile brake upgrades for these 8.8 rears?

please keep in mind i am using stock 16" wheels, and i would like to get the best (read: best performing, not looks wise) brakes i can, without dropping a fortune.

and before someone says it - no, i dont expect to get a sicknasty 13" rotor with 4 piston caliper that will fit under a 16" wheel for $150, i understand quality and performance have a cost.

thanks for the help guys.

This is a good question, I was wondering the same thing. I know Summit has rotors for the 8.8" rear and possibly aftermarket pads as well but as far as Calipers go... no go.

i know there is a bear 13" rear kit fo rmustangs, which relocated the mustang caliper to fit the bigger rotor, which is what i am looking for. not necessarily a TON of braking force (i dont want to lock up the rears all the time) but better fade resistance.

i was also trying ot look into the cobra swap - 11.65" vented rotors with pretty red calipers.

Drilled rotors REALLY improve the braking on the rear rotors. They are Solid rotors, so cracking is not a concern. You will have brake fade WAAAYYY before you get the thick rotors hot enough to crack the rears...

Ryan

Back