Rear brakes knocking after replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear brakes knocking after replacement

05_XLT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer V6
Hello all, I recently had my rear disks and pads replaced by a Ford shop, not a dealer. I probably could have done this myself, but I was pressed for time and it's my only vehicle.

In the mornings, as I exit my driveway (while driving in a forward position), I'm getting a knocking noise from the rear of the vehicle. I, my son, my wife, all have commented. It does not seem to correspond, for example, to a specific rotation of the wheels, or the bouncing of the shocks. It seems, although I have not done it enough to truly establish the connection, that I can eliminate it if I pump the brakes several times while the engine is warming (say 10-15 seconds).

When I exit my driveway, I'm going perhaps 5 MPH

After I pull out of my driveway and get to normal speeds, say 30MPH, the knocking goes away. After a stop sign? I hear nothing. Perhaps stopping for the first stop sign is what cures the knocking. Thus the only condition I can attribute it to is it occurs after the vehicle has been sitting for a long while, for example overnight.

I live in a mild climate, evenings are maybe 62 degrees at the lowest. No rain, no snow. I hesitate to bring it back to the shop because by the time I get there and they test drive it, thee knock will be gone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what work they did, it the rear e-brake linings like to come off. Though they tend to make noise when turning.

Hello, the work was pretty straightforward, I went in to have the rear brake rotors and pads replaced. I thought perhaps it might be the emergency brake shoes, but from what I can gather those usually become an issue in snowy climates. Also I don't think I've ever used the emergency brake, as in ever. If I have, maybe once or twice.

My E-brake linings fell off, I also never use them and live in New Mexico where we seldom get snow, It is probably worth checking them.

Check and make sure that both 10mm bolts are in and tight. I had one come in once for a knocking noise when braking and both bolts were missing out of the rear caliper on one side. The lady said it had been making the noise since before her last oil change (what I was doing at the time) and the pads were at half life so who knows how long they were missing. Never thought you could drive without caliper bolts but apparently you can in the rear of a 3rd Gen haha.

Also check your lug nuts, some people seem to forget to check with a torque wrench after repairs. 100 ft/lbs is where they should be.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to be very unhappy if the 10mm bolts are not there.

I’ve seen that bolt come lose and it did cause a knock noise.

The e-brake issue has nothing to do with climate or elevation, the lining material becomes brittle over time and separates from the metal shoe. The material floats around and makes noise.

Back