rear brakes not working

rsw2008

My 95 EX EB
Reaction score
City, State
pine grove, ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt 95 ex eb
91 xlt 4.0. Rabs light is on all the time, front brakes locking up on hard braking. Was told that a piston was stuck in the bottom of the master cylinder or the rabs unit.there seems to be no braking on the rear axle.

this is only one of many problems with this thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

91 xlt 4.0. Rabs light is on all the time, front brakes locking up on hard braking. Was told that a piston was stuck in the bottom of the master cylinder or the rabs unit.there seems to be no braking on the rear axle.

Do you have a question? It certainly sounds like you need at least a new master cylinder.:usa:

On my '90 Bronco the RABS unit was bad resulting in no fluid making it to the rear. I removed the unit and ran a new line directly to the rear. IMHO the early rear only ABS was garbage and never did work well so just get rid of it. I bought a '92 Ranger new with the RABS and could easily lock up a rear tire on a wet road.

rear brake problems

yea i was thinking of eliminating the rabs unit,but iwanted some input from the guru's before i did it. it looks like i can just take it out and install a line in the place of it. ill check the master cyl. just to make sure. living in a motel now, so there's not much i can do here.

thank's guys! will update later!

I just dealt with the stupidity that is the RABS system. There were spider webs in my drums....they weren't doing anything. Upon bleeding them , no pressure at all was going to the rear. Ended up being the RABS hydraulic unit mounted in the frame rail. 115 at O'reilley with a lifetime warranty. SO now they work, but my ABS light is on....wonderful....good luck

Back