• Register Today It's free!

Rear brakes wearing prematurely

PMA

Reaction score
City, State
Parry Sound, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
I have a 2018 Explorer Sport with about 26,000 kilometres on it.

When in for service yesterday at the dealership I was advised there were only 2 mm of rear pads left and the rotors were pitted.

No city driving but we are in a northern climate. I do not drive the vehicle hard.

I was surprised they were worn so early. My 2015 Explorer was traded in with no brake issues at 50,000 km.

Any one experienced premature wearing of rear brakes and suggestions as to why?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When in for service yesterday at the dealership I was advised there were only 2 mm of rear pads left and the rotors were pitted.

No city driving but we are in a northern climate. I do not drive the vehicle hard.

I was surprised they were worn so early. My 2015 Explorer was traded in with no brake issues at 50,000 km.

Thanks
They're probably dragging all the time, it's a known problem. Comes from the area on the carrier behind the little metal clips rusting. You can pull the brakes and the carrier off the vehicle then hit the areas behind where the clips are seated with a wire wheel until shiny. Then a thin coat of nickel anti seize before you reassemble. I just did my 2014 about a month ago and it's much better now.

I doubt you could get the dealer to do this preventive type of fix with the nickel anti seize. Best to do it yourself.

They're probably dragging all the time, it's a known problem. Comes from the area on the carrier behind the little metal clips rusting. You can pull the brakes and the carrier off the vehicle then hit the areas behind where the clips are seated with a wire wheel until shiny. Then a thin coat of nickel anti seize before you reassemble. I just did my 2014 about a month ago and it's much better now.

I doubt you could get the dealer to do this preventive type of fix with the nickel anti seize. Best to do it yourself.
M
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info!

I just replaced my rear brakes at 34k miles, the passenger side had just a bit left, however, the diver side was down to the metal.

We live in a very dry climate, so no rust issues and no dragging issues from what I can see. My wife does a lot in city driving, so I just attribute the were to that. Front brakes look great, however. :dunno:

Not too bad to change out, just took time to rotate the piston back into the caliper. I spent about $170 for lifetime pads and 2 year rotors.

I just replaced my rear breaks at 34k miles, the passenger side had just a bit left, however, the diver side was down to the metal.

We live in a very dry climate, so no rust issues and no dragging issues from what I can see. My wife does a lot in city driving, so I just attribute the were to that. Front breaks look great, however. :dunno:

Not too bad to change out, just took time to rotate the piston back into the caliper. I spent about $170 for lifetime pads and 2 year rotors.
Thanks

Definitely more common these days for the rear brakes to wear out before the front.
I also agree that it could be the sticking rear brakes.

My Explorer went about 60k miles on the original rear pads, fronts are still original @ ~95k miles.
My old Mazdaspeed6 and my buddies 2011 Mustang GT went through rears about 2x as fast as the front.

Definitely more common these days for the rear brakes to wear out before the front.
I also agree that it could be the sticking rear brakes.

My Explorer went about 60k miles on the original rear pads, fronts are still original @ ~95k miles.
My old Mazdaspeed6 and my buddies 2011 Mustang GT went through rears about 2x as fast as the front.

Sure seems early as I have only 15000 miles on it. The service writer said they were wearing out early as there was no longer asbestos in the pads.

Dragging seems to be more likely. They also said the rotors were badly pitted.

I sure didn’t expect to have to spend a couple hundred dollars at this point. I trade for a new vehicle every 3 years to avoid these repairs.

Sure seems early as I have only 15000 miles on it. The service writer said they were wearing out early as there was no longer asbestos in the pads.

Dragging seems to be more likely. They also said the rotors were badly pitted.

I sure didn’t expect to have to spend a couple hundred dollars at this point. I trade for a new vehicle every 3 years to avoid these repairs.

This is a fluke at the mileage.... rears on newer cars do more braking than the front. Not because they are non asbestos. Been that way for years.

Assume you do city driving so you brake alot. Not like highway driving that you tap once in a while.

It seems even the Internet has varying opinions on brake wear. Here is one statement.
But there is a reason why rear brake pads can wear faster than expected: traction control and electronic stability control. Besides (for some cars) the tire-pressure monitoring system, your ABS is linked to the ESC and traction control, Motor Trend reports.Aug 11, 2020

Another factor that has accelerated brake wear (especially rear brake wear) in certain late model vehicles is the change to electronic brake proportioning. The proportioning valve that normally reduces hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes has been eliminated so the rear brakes will handle a higher percentage of the brake load and be more aggressive. The antilock brake system performs the job of brake proportioning by keeping an eye on how the rear brakes are behaving. If the rear brakes start to lock up when braking hard, the ABS system kicks in and cycles pressure to the rear wheels to prevent them from skidding.

Then there are articles saying the majority of the braking is done by the front brakes due to the fact that the weight shifts forward during the braking process.

Peter

This is a fluke at the mileage.... rears on newer cars do more braking than the front. Not because they are non asbestos. Been that way for years.

Assume you do city driving so you brake alot. Not like highway driving that you tap once in a while.

I live in a rural area and almost no city driving.

I am just a bit surprised by this at this time.

Take care

It seems even the Internet has varying opinions on brake wear. Here is one statement.
But there is a reason why rear brake pads can wear faster than expected: traction control and electronic stability control. Besides (for some cars) the tire-pressure monitoring system, your ABS is linked to the ESC and traction control, Motor Trend reports.Aug 11, 2020

Another factor that has accelerated brake wear (especially rear brake wear) in certain late model vehicles is the change to electronic brake proportioning. The proportioning valve that normally reduces hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes has been eliminated so the rear brakes will handle a higher percentage of the brake load and be more aggressive. The antilock brake system performs the job of brake proportioning by keeping an eye on how the rear brakes are behaving. If the rear brakes start to lock up when braking hard, the ABS system kicks in and cycles pressure to the rear wheels to prevent them from skidding.

Then there are articles saying the majority of the braking is done by the front brakes due to the fact that the weight shifts forward during the braking process.

Peter

Thanks for the info Peter. After issues with my last 2 Explorers , i am starting to question wether I want a third....

Regards

So it just occurred to me, I had 2009 Dodge Journey, 2012 & 2016 Chrysler Town n Country and they all had excessive rear brake and now the 2017 Explorer. These vehicles have the same rear brake caliper design, with a mechanical parking brake integrated into the caliper. I am going to speciulate that has something to do with excessive wear, along with ABS/Stability control.

None of my other vehicles have every wore rear brakes like this.

So it just occurred to me, I had 2009 Dodge Journey, 2012 & 2016 Chrysler Town n Country and they all had excessive rear brake and now the 2017 Explorer. These vehicles have the same rear brake caliper design, with a mechanical parking brake integrated into the caliper. I am going to speciulate that has something to do with excessive wear, along with ABS/Stability control.

Its the bias on braking is done more in rear than front. EBD

good point....

Thanks
Same here, wife's 2017 explorer has complete wear out at 36000 miles. Having replaced many brakes this seemed very fast for mostly local driving.

Same here, wife's 2017 explorer has complete wear out at 36000 miles. Having replaced many brakes this seemed very fast for mostly local driving.
Welcome to the Forum Mike. :wave:

Peter

It’s absolutely not the mechanical ebrake. It’s the corrosion buildup under the abutment clips that causes the pads to stick and drag.

The dealership put in new brake pads and rotors on ours before we bought it certified preowned, the rear brakes were squealing a bit which drives the wife crazy. So I figured they were hanging up in some way and decided to check them out. They had new metal clips installed, but the pads were hard hard wedged into the calipers and no way they could move freely. I ended up taking the tabs on the brake pads to a grinder and a wire brush. Next summer plan on replacing the pads and calipers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Next time try removing the clips and removing the corrosion from the calipers.

Back