Rear brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear brakes

Bug120

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
So my husband did the rear brakes on my 03 explorer. He's only ever done the front ones. He replaced the pads and rotors. When I was looking at the quote from a mechanic (I had a general quote done on everything wrong the explorer this past wk) brakes were on there but the guy had marked off drum parts as well? Husband and I are confused as I have disc brakes. I don't even know of this makes any sense but any ideas? My husband just knows the basics of cars. I test drive it after and the brakes are great now. I'm afraid we messed up somehow!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You sure he wasn't referring to rear parking brake parts?

I'm not sure. He reccomended doing both my front and rear brakes. So for parts he marked off- discs for front, pads for front & rear, 2 rear drums, 2 front rotors.

I'm not sure. He reccomended doing both my front and rear brakes. So for parts he marked off- discs for front, pads for front & rear, 2 rear drums, 2 front rotors.

The front and rear brakes (general stopping power) on our Explorers use "disc brake pads", but on the "rear rotors", there is an inner braking surface area (Drum) you can't see unless you remove the rotor from the vehicle that is for the Parking Brake "drum shoes" to press against when you apply the Parking Brake. The rear rotor has basically two uses and two stopping surfaces ground or cut into it. One surface for the disc brake pads to rub against and one for the drum shoes to run against. The Parking Brake shoe hardware mounts behind the rear rotor, hidden by the inner, grooved out area cut into the rear rotor.

The front and rear brakes (general stopping power) on our Explorers use "disc brake pads", but on the "rear rotors", there is an inner braking surface area (Drum) you can't see unless you remove the rotor from the vehicle that is for the Parking Brake "drum shoes" to press against when you apply the Parking Brake. The rear rotor has basically two uses and two stopping surfaces ground or cut into it. One surface for the disc brake pads to rub against and one for the drum shoes to run against. The Parking Brake shoe hardware mounts behind the rear rotor, hidden by the inner, grooved out area cut into the rear rotor.

That's a little over my head, haha, but I will show my husband this in the morning. He did say something to me along those lines of the last thing you said but he wasn't sure. So is it bad he only changed the pads & rotors?

That's a little over my head, haha, but I will show my husband this in the morning. He did say something to me along those lines of the last thing you said but he wasn't sure. So is it bad he only changed the pads & rotors?

If the state you live in requires you to have a working Parking Brake and makes you have to pass a yearly state vehicle inspection as my great state (NY) :thumbdwn: does, then have the Parking Brake repaired if it needs it. If you live in a state that doesn't require you to have a working Parking Brake or make you go through a yearly state vehicle inspection then I wouldn't worry about it as long as the old parking brake hardware isn't causing you any noise issues from rusted out hardware. If you use the Parking Brake for any reason, then I would get it repaired if need be.
For me, I've been driving for approx 37 years and I've never once set the Parking Brake on any of my vehicles that had automatic transmissions, except for testing them out prior to my yearly state vehicle inspection. If I jack the vehicle up to work underneath it, I just "chock" the wheels that are still touching the ground. BTW, no, it won't harm your vehicle if the mechanic only changed the front and rear disc brake pads and not the Parking Brake shoes. While driving, your vehicle will still stop as it should.

Yes but regardless, they are still called rotors and thats what they should be called on any invoice.

Back