• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bucket Seats? Pros & Cons

CarBuff

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 TrailBlazer EXT
We are ready to buy a 2012 Explorer Limited. My wife and I are trying to decide between the rear bucket seats with the center console or the 60/40 bench seat.

We have 2 elementary school age kids.

I'd love to hear from others personal experiences? Obviously, the vehicle will hold one less person, but other than that are there PRO or CONS to the rear buckets.

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Explorers. I had a 93, 96, 98, 00, and an 02. We are replacing our 2005 Trailblazer EXT with the 2012 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We are ready to buy a 2012 Explorer Limited. My wife and I are trying to decide between the rear bucket seats with the center console or the 60/40 bench seat.

We have 2 elementary school age kids.

I'd love to hear from others personal experiences? Obviously, the vehicle will hold one less person, but other than that are there PRO or CONS to the rear buckets.

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Explorers. I had a 93, 96, 98, 00, and an 02. We are replacing our 2005 Trailblazer EXT with the 2012 Explorer.

We went with the bucket seats because they look more comfortable and provide space between the kids when the console is there. Both of my kids are older and don't require a car seat though from what I've read the buckets are better for that. The only down side I see beside loosing one seat is the cost. If you are thinking about not including the console if you go with the buckets be sure as it's over 1k to build one from parts if you change your mind.

Go with the center console otherwise there are no inner armrests on the buckets. The seats flip down with the touch of a button so there should be no problem accessing the 3rd row. My Enclave had flip up armrests on the buckets w/o console. Cost is about $100 when ordered,and I assume can be removed if you don't like it.

If I was considering captain chairs in the 2nd row, I'd have to ask myself if they would get in the way when I needed to fold all seats down to haul something flat. I think the console sticks up when all seats are down.

I also would like to add that the buckets allow for fore/aft adjustment. The bench seat is fixed, and I (at 5'11") find the leg room a little tighter than I would like. With the buckets, I can move them back to a comfortable distance.

It's a shame that they couldn't make the bench slide also. I would actually prefer the bench. Maybe that is something for the 2013 model year.

I wanted seating for 7 not 6. Skipped the rear bucket seats.

we also wanted the 7-seat capability, so bucket seats were not an option

Probably the one option that I would change on my Explorer if I had to do it again. We chose the bench seat, giving us the extra seat and not disappointed with the ride in the second row. But as mentioned above, the bucket seats adjust forward and backward, in addition, the bucket seats have a button feature on the door panel (2011) that allows easier access to 3rd row seating. The bench seats (2011) is manual and for some people is a bit difficult to fold.

Had bench in previous vehicles so buckets was a nice change plus gave our 7 year old daughter a choice of what she wanted and her sentiment was the same lets do something different. You loose 1 passenger but gain in a better seat with a center console to store stuff in. No regrets here get the console when your order otherwise the report on the forum is it will cost you a 1K to piece one together after the fact through the parts dept.

If I was considering captain chairs in the 2nd row, I'd have to ask myself if they would get in the way when I needed to fold all seats down to haul something flat. I think the console sticks up when all seats are down.

The console opens towards the front of the car and creates a flat surface when this is done.

My personal opinion is that I wish I'd gotten the bucket seats. I may be wrong, but I feel it gives the rear passengers a more luxurious ride.

The only possible negative to that for me, may be having to put the 3rd row up/down more often, so to have enough seats. I like to keep it stowed, as I carry my dogs around back there a lot & have the Husky liner.
I'm a bit envious when I see pictures of the buckets. :)

Agree with all that has been said and think that if you don't need the 7th seat, buckets are the way to go. They look nicer and are a better ride and you get the center console for storage (great for my kids mp3 players and DSI's). If you get buckets make sure you get the center console option with it. $100 option upon ordering or $1000 to put in yourself later!

I'm starting to feel like I should have considered buckets. :(

If you don't need seating for 7 then second row buckets with the centre console is the way to go. Sure the console does stick up a little bit when everything is folded down but it is insignificant. For travelling with four adults, second row buckets are ideal.

Having two kids, buckets are the way to go.

Separation is key, enough said there you know what I mean.

Console is a must especially if you're doing any rear seat DVD or iPad system, it holds remotes, extra wires, DVD's etc etc.

Consoles flips open and then is level with the entire rear area for flat cargo area.

Getting into the 3rd row is simply one touch button and the seats flip forward.

I don't have an Explorer but it's this bench vs buckets issue that is the biggest for me. I have two kids, both in car seats for 2-4 yrs longer, but I need 5 person seating without trying to squeeze someone in between the car seats. This leads me to 3-row SUV's as I don't want a minivan (yes, I know it's the best solution for people hauling). Most 3 row SUV's have only a bench which makes the 3rd row useless, as the car seats are in the way. To access most 3rd rows you have to fold the 2nd row seat back. This can't be easily done with a LATCH connected car seat. So, Ford and GM make SUV's with captains chairs options. The lack of armrests probably makes the pass through to the 2nd row easier in an Explorer. Any parents out there with 2nd row buckets care to comment on the pass through space? Thanks.

I don't have an Explorer but it's this bench vs buckets issue that is the biggest for me. I have two kids, both in car seats for 2-4 yrs longer, but I need 5 person seating without trying to squeeze someone in between the car seats. This leads me to 3-row SUV's as I don't want a minivan (yes, I know it's the best solution for people hauling). Most 3 row SUV's have only a bench which makes the 3rd row useless, as the car seats are in the way. To access most 3rd rows you have to fold the 2nd row seat back. This can't be easily done with a LATCH connected car seat. So, Ford and GM make SUV's with captains chairs options. The lack of armrests probably makes the pass through to the 2nd row easier in an Explorer. Any parents out there with 2nd row buckets care to comment on the pass through space? Thanks.

It works if you could put the older child in the car seat in the third row which allows for one of the 2nd row buckets to fold forward for easy 3rd row access.

If the car seats are anchored in both the 2nd row buckets you have blocked the 3rd row access, unless you buy one without a 2nd row console.

As many on here have said, don't buy without the console, too expensive to buy afterwards even if you could find one.

Just a suggestion but I would go to a dealer and try the car seat configuration and see if your seats and kids will work with it.

If the older child can do up the car seat buckle by themselves the 3rd row will work. It is harder for you to lean in to the 3rd row and buckle up the child each time. Not impossible, just harder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The console opens towards the front of the car and creates a flat surface when this is done.

Does anyone have a photo of this or know where there is one? We are struggling with this issue as well. Pro of bench is that if we have two large dog crates in the back we can still have 5 in there while keeping the 3rd row folded down (we have occasional need for seating for 5).

On the other hand, we usually have 4 (the two in the second row are teenagers) so we assume the bucket seats are more comfortable and I like the idea of them being more adjustable.

However, the negative of the center console to me was that if we needed to fold down the bucket seats I was worried that the console would stick up and we couldn't put anything in that area. We would potentially need a large flat surface so if the console opens to make it all flat that would be a big positive.

Back