• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper - CAD - Suggestions?

mcpherson

Reaction score
City, State
Cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT, '88 YJ
So a few weeks ago I went to Tellico to test out my Explorer, which to be amazed performed excellent. But still being a stock vehicle other then a body lift and shackles took many scratches and body damage for lack of body armor. I have designed a new rear bumper and would like to get some suggestions on this. I hope to start purchasing supplies and hardware over the next 2 months for this project.

Attachments

• Explorer Rear Bumper 1.jpg
    Explorer Rear Bumper 1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 731
  • Explorer Rear Bumper 2.jpg
    Explorer Rear Bumper 2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 873

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice i like it!

I would ditch the wrap around that seems like it goes around the tail light.

Acually I would ditch the whole tube bumper idea, I dont think they can be made to look good on explorers (or most vehicles for that matter)

A good piece of 2x4 for a starting point, cutout for your hitch and start adding flat till it looks good.

Sorry man but I have to agree with Snowboarder there. It'll add more stuff to get hung up on trees with. I saw a very similar road armor bumper on an f350. Really didn't look very good, and added alot of unnecessary width and weight.

Just my opinion though...do what you want, it's YOUR rig! :thumbsup:

i like tube bumpers. they look bad if your undercarriage is all rusty since you can see right through, but i think it could look good. the wrap arounds have to be made BBEEEEEFFFFFFY or else they will just get pushed into the body and do more damage than if they werent there.

u did all that on cad?? ur pretty good at it
wut version do u use?

AutoCAD 2006, when i have the chance I am going to design the vehicle in 3D.

i like tube bumpers. they look bad if your undercarriage is all rusty since you can see right through, but i think it could look good. the wrap arounds have to be made BBEEEEEFFFFFFY or else they will just get pushed into the body and do more damage than if they werent there.

dont forget about small trees getting caught inbetween the body and gaurds.

Nice thought on the small trees, that I think will be the one thing that will make me redesign this now. Better to know now then out on the trails.

ditch the full swing arm on the spare tire holder go with a half one and get the full size bronco latch to use with it. Also Design the Stop of the spare tire.. Its a PITA without one and it will swing into the body. also when mounting it allow for room for a larger tire if that will be in the works. Those were the issues i had.

How i decided to solve them Bronco spare tire latch. (will be mounting it later right now i have a tractor pin holding it.

Welded a peice of rod to the side of the pivot point on the holder and a peice of square stock to the bumper to act as a stop. Still need to make a better saftey for it spring loaded.

Nice CAD work. For the sides unless you cut off the lower part of the body where the trim is or cut holes in it. It wont be strong enough.

hope this helps ya.

thats a pretty damn good 2d of the explorer. good luck with the 3d version.

- Update

I had a little time and have completed a sneak peek of the 3D version. I'm going to try to render it with some more light so that all the details can be seen.

Also, thank you for the comments. I have taken to account of future problems such I have prepared for small trees and various other items with an additional push away bar.

Attachments

• Drawing2.jpg
    Drawing2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 607

What will keep the wrap area from smashing in a severe hit

I hope strong enough pipe for not bending and I have included some strength points underneath on the chassis from not allowing the bumper to pivoting and causing body damage from my own bumper. Once built, I will be traveling with a grinder in case I decided to ditch the whole top end idea.

I think the guard will deflect enough damage from a hit that it will be worth it. A hit hard enough to push in a guard that far would have surely caused alot more damage than if the guard wasn't there. Now lets see if you can make the real deal look that good.

well, you wont be putting that on my truck, but the CAD work looks good.

cool, looks great, will you share the cad file? :thumbsup: any version, :salute: i'm good on 3d rendering, ur file will help,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet looking bumper make it try it and tells how it works BTW how long did that take to do? I use pro-engineer and that would have taken a while again nice job

Back