• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Rear bumper replaced now camera grainy

Bkellum

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
I've always loved the rear camera resolution of my 2013 Explorer. I had to have the 3 piece non-painted portion of the bumper replaced. After picking up from the Ford body shop, I noticed my camera looks grainy. Any ideas how this repair would effect the camera as the camera is installed above the license plate?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
My understanding is the wiring for the rear view camera goes up the tailgate to the top and into the body roof area at the top of the hatch. No where near the rear bumper parts.

Did they touch anything up there?

Bkellum

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
No repairs made to the tailgate but I did have a third row seat repaired at the same visit (caved the back of the seat in the first time I hauled some music equipment). Strange.

LukerDooker

Reaction score
City, State
N.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013Limited 301A TuxBlack
No repairs made to the tailgate but I did have a third row seat repaired at the same visit (caved the back of the seat in the first time I hauled some music equipment). Strange.
1st gen seat backs were reportedly weak, possibly plywood. Now they have a crossbar pattern that was pictured here, 2014 and up use this newer seatback, and any replaced on older models, so they seem to be braced well enough now.

Possibly the camera was smacked or hit while they were working on the 3rd row?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Could there perhaps be some over spray on the lense? I don't see any reason why a camera would be affected by a repair to the bumper. as stated by Sgt1411.

Peter

FordService

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've always loved the rear camera resolution of my 2013 Explorer. I had to have the 3 piece non-painted portion of the bumper replaced. After picking up from the Ford body shop, I noticed my camera looks grainy. Any ideas how this repair would effect the camera as the camera is installed above the license plate?
Hi Bkellum,

I'd recommend returning to your dealership so they can check this out. Let us know what you hear. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal