• Register Today It's free!

Rear bumper

StevenGene

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Question, does anyone know how to remove the plastic piece on top of the rear bumper? Need to re paint it and i don't want to have to take the whole bumper off. :(

I took mine off a while ago to repaint it too. Thought it was a good idea because I didnt wanna remove it or tape off the back, but when I put it back on the paint cracked because it had to be bent in the edges to get between the body and bumper. Just a thought.

Either way, I took a long flat screwdriver and just got under it and started prying it off all throughout the bumper. It just snaps in place and comes off easily with a little force upward.

I took mine off a while ago to repaint it too. Thought it was a good idea because I didnt wanna remove it or tape off the back, but when I put it back on the paint cracked because it had to be bent in the edges to get between the body and bumper. Just a thought.

Either way, I took a long flat screwdriver and just got under it and started prying it off all throughout the bumper. It just snaps in place and comes off easily with a little force upward.
are there any kind of plastic clips i should be worried about breaking? I'll have to give that a try tomorrow. The bumper is rusting at the top and i want to stop it before it gets bad... Darn Michigan weather

No not all theyre not clips, at least on mine they weren't Theyre just a bow tie looking prong that sticks out from the bottom the plastic, its all one piece. Its really easy to do and can't break it, if anything you might just leave a dent in the plastic part, like i did, but with the sun hitting it it settles fine. I did it just to paint my black, sucks about for rust,I don't get that here too much.

Back