Rear camber adjustment on a 2010 Limited AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear camber adjustment on a 2010 Limited AWD

Brian Jordan

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Limited V8
Getting the dreaded inside rear tire wear on my 2010. Just by looking at it, I can tell its rear spring sag. I'm sure new struts and springs would cure the issue, but it's an awfully pricey solution. Especially since they're in otherwise good shape. Looking into a rear adjustable camber set up as an alternative. I've found multiple kits for the '02-'05 3rd Gen models, but my findings for the 4th Gen models seems kind of inconsistent.

There has to be a few of you that have done this, or had it done. Looking for a rear camber adjustment kit (specifically a part number) to order.

Who's gonna point me in the right direction?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4th gen rear is adjustable from the factory just go get a 4 wheel alignment.

Jack it up and make sure it’s not leaning due to bad wheel bearings or worn suspension joints before going For alignment.

Also, replacing rear spring/strut assembly is quick and fairly inexpensive.

The 4th gen rear is adjustable from the factory just go get a 4 wheel alignment.
It was the alignment shop that told me I needed the alignment kit. Do they not know what they're talking about, or could it require more adjustability than the stock set up will provide? How much adjustment are we talking here? Have you got a link to a walk through of the procedure. I almost feel as though I could probably do this myself in the driveway with a dedicated angle finder?

Jack it up and make sure it’s not leaning due to bad wheel bearings or worn suspension joints before going For alignment.

Also, replacing rear spring/strut assembly is quick and fairly inexpensive.
I does have one bad rear wheel bearing (according to the alignment shop), which I will be replacing at the same time. Apparently, the real wheel bearing is a real bear to change and doing it myself would save me some serious $$$ over the 5.5hrs labour they quoted me!

I'm kinda feeling like the spring and strut assembly aren't in bad shape. It seems to recover find from any bumps or dips in the road and I'm not noticing any flat spots on the tire, that you would normally find with a bad shock/strut?

From what I've read, sagging rear springs is pretty common for the 4th GEN models. And if that's all it is, I'd rather just compensate with an adjustment vs replacing the strut/spring assembly.

It could be that the adjustment is maxed out and you need new rear coilovers. I don't know how much adjustment is there but when my rear was wearing the inside of the tire I had ford do an alignment that was a few years ago. Then last year all of them checked and aligned again by another shop so its adjustable to some degree.

I have heard the rear bearings can be a real pain to get out and you definitely need a press if you live where there is snow and salt on the roads.

Back