• Register Today It's free!

Rear Cargo Compartment

bozee

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Police
Hey yall. I need some help...So my car is a 2015 Police explorer and it used to have a huge chest in the back. I didn't like it cuz it got in the way so i removed it. I was left with a gaping hole in the trunk. So my fix was a piece of plywood. Well now I'm looking for a more permanent fix but i haven't been able to find one. All ive found is the rear seats which is what i dont want. I want the trunk to be completely flat. Like the picture attached (i know its not an explorer). Can anyone help me figure out a way to get an OEM trunk floor? I know they had them in a couple of cars but i haven't been able to find any. When i look all that comes up is the floor mats.
s-l400.jpg
dd0iADLhHns-fCumfKE7dxOHv=w1292-h970-no?authuser=0.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey yall. I need some help...So my car is a 2015 Police explorer and it used to have a huge chest in the back. I didn't like it cuz it got in the way so i removed it. I was left with a gaping hole in the trunk. So my fix was a piece of plywood. Well now I'm looking for a more permanent fix but i haven't been able to find one. All ive found is the rear seats which is what i dont want. I want the trunk to be completely flat. Like the picture attached (i know its not an explorer). Can anyone help me figure out a way to get an OEM trunk floor? I know they had them in a couple of cars but i haven't been able to find any. When i look all that comes up is the floor mats.
View attachment 422875View attachment 422876
I don't know, but the plywood looks ok to me. Add some indoor/outdoor carpet and a couple of handles towards the rear with proper support underneath and you are as good as OEM.

View attachment 422876
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You should be able to get the cargo liner for that, similar to the other picture you posted above. Eric also has an idea of adding carpeting if that is what you'd like. You may want to consider cutting and adding hinges to the plywood so you can get at the spare tire and jack.

Peter

I don't know, but the plywood looks ok to me. Add some indoor/outdoor carpet and a couple of handles towards the rear with proper support underneath and you are as good as OEM.
yeah i was thinking that when i was driving it but my mom kinda adopted it and she complains about it. i offered ur same idea but she wants to go with OEM. Its really stable and has carried nearly 800 pounds!

yeah i was thinking that when i was driving it but my mom kinda adopted it and she complains about it. i offered ur same idea but she wants to go with OEM. Its really stable and has carried nearly 800 pounds!
I had the same problem. I also cut plywood for a perfect fit sanded it and applied black truck bed paint. It has the same texture that the oem plastic panels have and it is a stronger floor

Yep...I'd get the factory floor piece. My truck had all the factory stuff back there when I got it.
I bought the cargo area mat from Nenno Products...a really nice upgrade.

Hi,
I have the same problem. In the first picture my 2015 FPIU and big hole ;)
My  Trunk Floor FPIU 2015.jpeg

and in the link I found on ebay Trunk Floor OEM for Explorer 2017 (the part number with the last letter differs 53-7813065- T488A).
Trunk Floor OEM Cargo
FPIU Cargo Cover Trunk floor.jpg

FPIU Cargo Cover Trunk floor 2.jpg

Please just let me know if it will fit my 2015 FPIU ;)

I think #4 in the diagram is what you are looking for.https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/v-2015-ford-police-interceptor-utility--base--3-5l-v6-gas/body--interior-trim-rear-body
The ones you mention appear to be 40" x 16.5". Check your measurements.

Peter

Hi,
With the help of a friend, we made the trunk floor ourselves from a wooden board and covered it with eco-leather.
New made Trunk Floor.jpeg

Hi,
With the help of a friend, we made the trunk floor ourselves from a wooden board and covered it with eco-leather.
View attachment 428235
Yours seems to go right up to the rear seats. Mine has about 6-8" gap between the seat and the cargo liner, maybe mine was cut or altered due to something they added. pic below but not a great one

IMG_2063(1).jpg

I second this! I actually added plywood to my 2014 PIU ontop of the oem flooring. After I'd hauled a large amount of edging, I saw the weight begin to damage the floor. Cut some plywood to size and wrapped it in car like carpet. I was able to haul a whole engine without concern for damaging the oem weak flooring.

Keep the plywood!

I just fold the 3rd row seats down, and if cargo is abrasive or dirty, throw down a big piece of cardboard and/or a tarp. I guess a piece of covered wood/whatever might save 80lbs and give you a few more inches cargo area clearance, except more of the clearance issue is the molding at the bottom of the liftgate opening and top of the liftgate opening itself, IIRC.

Stupid question but why mess around trying to diy something that will always look home made when you can get the panels at a junk yard from a wrecked PIU and have the factory original parts?

^ I think it "could" look pretty good if a person is good at measurement/carpentry, I'd probably settle for 3/4" plywood then put bed liner on it for a grippy surface, would work better for me than an original panel if the original has a slippery plastic (or carpet) top surface. Then again I could add more tie-down points but sometimes I don't want to bother tying things down, just not have them slide around as easily.

Yours seems to go right up to the rear seats. Mine has about 6-8" gap between the seat and the cargo liner, maybe mine was cut or altered due to something they added. pic below but not a great one

View attachment 429885
Here is the link to the correct pieces. I have the same gap, it was cut for a rear cage, most likely a K-9 unit.

I've been looking for a couple days and it appears this company has a lot of parts listed. Definitely will be bookmarking for later when I have the funds for this.

These get wrecked all the time. Shouldn't be hard to find one with a junkyard search and shouldn't be more than $50 or $75.

What I'd recommend is to go TSC or Rural King and get a Red Barn 4x6 "horse stall mat" They are about $40 and tough as heck. Trim it to fit and drop it in on top of the plywood for a super tough rubber liner that you can pull out and hose off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I'd recommend is to go TSC or Rural King and get a Red Barn 4x6 "horse stall mat" They are about $40 and tough as heck. Trim it to fit and drop it in on top of the plywood for a super tough rubber liner that you can pull out and hose off.
A good cargo liner will have raised edges to contain any spills etc. Husky and WeatherTeck both sell those and many members with the retail Explorers have bought them, myself included.

Peter

Back