Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Callsign
W5LVN
image-1879115383.jpg

So I started on my first welding project for my Explorer. What do you guys think? I will be building a box for two rear access drawers in the rear section. I will be install a sub box and moving my amp to the front half behind the driver side and using the front passenger half for storage and future projects.

I could use a little advice on the drawers, I want to use HDPE/Teflon sliders on the bottoms of the drawers for cost reasons. Do I mount strips on the drawer and the floor? or just one or the other? Do the strips of HDPE slide on top of each other or what? I've been looking at pictures of other build ups but nobody ever shows the bottoms of their drawers.... I'm sure there is a joke in that sentence somewhere...

Thanks for checking out my project and any feedback you may have.

image-1879115383.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, not sure about the teflon questions but I like the direction of the build so far. Post some pics as you go.

I found these and I am thinking about using them for sliders, my only concern would be durability.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Slick_Strips

As far as the deck material I was going to use marine grade plywood but now I'm thinking a 5'x5' sheet of Baltic birch plywood. The dimensions of the deck are just over 4'x4' so the Baltic sheet would mean no seams. I will also be assembling the drawers from the Baltic Birch.

I have the cage out of the truck while I finish repairing some rust on the body of my X, but as soon as I start on the wood work I'll post some more photos.

Anything ever come from this? has me thinkin of building something similar

Ya I'm wondering the same thing. In stead of wood deck I'd go with a piece of aluminium plating it would be just as strong yet lighter. Not the cheapest route but would work great

I getting ready to do something similar to this this weekend but I am going to use msd and carpet it

Sorry it took me so long to reply, life is crazy right now. I have only completed the frame and the top surface so far, I have planned out the drawer box and it is next on my list. Just have to find a place to cut the wood. I cut the top surface at my apartment and the next day I got a cease and desist letter from my complex.

Ya I'm wondering the same thing. In stead of wood deck I'd go with a piece of aluminium plating it would be just as strong yet lighter. Not the cheapest route but would work great

I thought about using diamond plate for the deck, I didn't do it for a couple reasons. First it would have been more difficult to work with and work the lid into the deck for me with my existing skills and tools. Secondly the density of the wood provides some nice sound dampening that I desired, this could be achieved on an aluminum deck with sound dampening material but it would make it almost as heavy as the wood I imagine.

Here are some photos of the progress.

This is an over all rear view of the top surface. I used 3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood, thick pile automotive carpeting laid down with outdoor carpet glue, and L-Track.

15979588_large.jpg

This is the L-Track that I installed to provide a variety of tie down points. I routed the underlying plywood so that it would sit flush with the carpet. It is bolted through to the underlying system frame and also holds the surface in place.

15979589_large.jpg

There will be a drawer box with two drawers between the two vertical supports. I will face it with plywood that I plan on bed coating, I will also mount L-Track along the top edge.

15979590_large.jpg

I will face the area behind the seats with plywood and L-Track as well. The driver's side will have a subwoofer opening integrated into it that will fire towards the back of the drivers seat.

15979591_large.jpg

I used hidden hinges to create a lid over the storage area. The lid is secured using heavy duty magnets, so far they have been successful at preventing rattling and keeping the lid secured. The passenger side will be storage for now but I may eventually use the space for a power inverter or a small drawer safe that opens through the face. The drivers side will house a subwoofer box, amplifier, and fuse blocks.

15979592_large.jpg

Thanks for the interest in the system, I will try and keep everyone posted as I make slow but steady progress on it.

That is pretty cool! Nice way to utilize space. Are you going to paint the metal you used to frame it up or is it not a concern for you? Im anxious to see how you do the woofer!

Once I get all the holes drilled and everything mounted I will pull it all out (it's designed to come out after being disassembled) and have the frame blasted and powder coated. I will also seal all the unprotected wood as well.

Once I get all the holes drilled and everything mounted I will pull it all out (it's designed to come out after being disassembled) and have the frame blasted and powder coated. I will also seal all the unprotected wood as well.

Nice!

Any more pics of the finished product?

Unfortunately my explorer was totaled by an idiot driver during an ice storm over the winter. I am now driving a 2006 F-150 XLT Supercrew and working on a similar project for it...

Unfortunately my explorer was totaled by an idiot driver during an ice storm over the winter. I am now driving a 2006 F-150 XLT Supercrew and working on a similar project for it...

That sucks.. I'm sure you'll be happy with the supercrew though.

Back