• Register Today It's free!

Rear Carrier Bearing?

blksn8k

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac Limited 4x4
My brother-in-law has a 2007 Sport Trac, V6 4x4 and it needs a rear drive shaft carrier bearing. He was told he needs to buy a complete drive shaft because the carrier bearing on 4 wheel drive models is not serviceable. Is that true? When I do a search so far I can only find carrier bearings for 2 wheel drives so I guess it could be true...

Looking at the one on my truck which is also a 4x4 it sure looks damn similar to the photos of the 2 wheel drive carrier bearing that most auto parts stores do sell.

Also, is there any difference between V6 & V8 rear drive shafts if it is a 4x4? It would make sense to me that the rear shaft for a 2 wheel drive would be different because of the 5-speed vs 6-speed transmission but if all 4 wheel drives use the same transfer case then I would think the rear drive shaft could be the same on all 4x4's regardless of which engine it has.

If he does have to buy a new rear driveshaft assembly with the carrier bearing where is the best place to buy it????

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is true if you only use Ford parts. Much like my wife's escape, but a little know fact is that Dana makes a carrier bearing that will fit, and its the same one the escape uses. They will run you about 80 bucks at rock auto.

The factory carrier bearing is junk and an absolute pain to replace. I just swapped put the whole shaft for an aftermarket unit for one of my customers. It's the only way to go. His truck is a v8 and only had 65k miles on it. Fort Wayne clutch is where the new shaft came from. Not the quickest delivery time but quality unit for sure. Definitely not cheap either.

20170911_101542.jpg

20170911_101547.jpg

It is true if you only use Ford parts. Much like my wife's escape, but a little know fact is that Dana makes a carrier bearing that will fit, and its the same one the escape uses. They will run you about 80 bucks at rock auto.

Thanks guys.

I assume that would be for an AWD Escape? Do you know what year Escape or a Dana part number?

I don't, but there was a post on here a few months back about a fellow that swapped it, I do believe it had part numbers as well. I cant remember if it was in the explorer, or sport track forums. You will have to search.

Back