Rear Coat Hook Screw

DjDom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL(imited)
I feel like a complete idiot right now, but what holds the rear coat hook on?
I know it's a screw, but can someone tell me what kind?

I've tried everything from a 5mm - 7mm, and imperial sizes as well, nothing works on this little screw.

I can't get my rear quarter panel back on properly until I take that dang hook off.

Thanks,

Dom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't know what size it is, but ive used my 1/4" SAE deep socket set to tighten loose grab handle (and i think) coat hook screws.

7/32 SAE size fits fairly well on mine. it's slightly loose and converts to 5.5 mm, so i guess the bolt head is 5 mm.

I tried a 5mm, it didn't fit. 6 was too loose. 7/32 was too loose too.

5.5 mm I think

Yup 5.5mm just checked my two 97s and my 98

Where the hell do I get a 5.5 mm socket? LOL.

Lol mine is craftsman, its also the size of the bolt that holds the shift indicator adjuster under the steering column, and a few other odd interior parts, 7/32 is a tad loose but should work, its not very tight and going back in dont try to get it tight, because it will strip and dont break the pin /locator on the back of the hook itself, I learned all this swapping a headliner last summer,

I'm starting to think about using needle nose pliers since it's such an annoying little screw.

5.5mm is a common, and standard, size. You should be able to find a socket almost anywhere.

Well, I got fed up and did it with needle nose pliers.
I'm gonna go out and find a 5.5 mm somewhere on the weekend.

Any cheapo socket set should have 5.5
I own a few of em

My cheapo socket set only goes down to 6 mm. :(

Back