rear defrost doesn't illuminate when headlights are on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear defrost doesn't illuminate when headlights are on

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
Not sure if this has something to do with me removing the bezel last week to swap out my climate controls, but now my rear defroster doesn't light up with the headlights/interior lights. The orange indicator light still works when I depress the button.

Any thoughts?

Not sure if this has something to do with me removing the bezel last week to swap out my climate controls, but now my rear defroster doesn't light up with the headlights/interior lights. The orange indicator light still works when I depress the button.

Any thoughts?

Could have pulled the illumination power wire out of the connector when fooling with the bezel - or the bulb could have just picked this moment to die. Bulb can be replaced: Remove bezel from vehicle; all three switches are mounted in a common holder that screws in from back of bezel. Push defrost switch out of holder from back; bulb is in side of switch - look for round cover with slot for small screwdriver. Good luck.

Wouldn't surprise me if it picked a crappy time to die. I pulled my bezel out awhile ago to replace that whole "stalk"'s bulbs with ones from the junkyard. Everything was working and I was excited, so I put everything back together and wouldn't you know, they were out when I turned the headlight switch on...

I have another bezel with another set of buttons I was going to swap in tonight to see if it worked, but some idiot before me epoxied the dash kit for the aftermarket radio into the old bezel... Good excuse to upgrade my head unit to one that doesn't suck :)

Back