Rear Defroster Bulb?

Varsity

Don't need no stinkin 4WD...yet
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport
I just noticed that my rear defroster does not light up with the rest of my lights when I have my parking lights on. I mean the actual button itself, not the little orange light to say that it's on. Everywhere I look on this forum has talk about LED conversion for those buttons/switches but I haven't found anything that talks about just regular bulbs. I don't have the right bulbs to do an LED conversion so I was hoping to just put a regular bulb in there for now until I get some.

However, is it an actual bulb behind there or is it a built-in one kind of like the headlight switch and I have to replace the switch to get it to light up again? I could see it being a really small guy like the warning lights but I am not completely sure. Can anyone confirm whether or not it's a "replaceable" bulb?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just noticed that my rear defroster does not light up with the rest of my lights when I have my parking lights on. I mean the actual button itself, not the little orange light to say that it's on. Everywhere I look on this forum has talk about LED conversion for those buttons/switches but I haven't found anything that talks about just regular bulbs. I don't have the right bulbs to do an LED conversion so I was hoping to just put a regular bulb in there for now until I get some.

However, is it an actual bulb behind there or is it a built-in one kind of like the headlight switch and I have to replace the switch to get it to light up again? I could see it being a really small guy like the warning lights but I am not completely sure. Can anyone confirm whether or not it's a "replaceable" bulb?

Thanks!

The bulb is replaceable; but neither Ford nor auto parts stores sells the bulbs for some reason. Go to http://autolumination.com/74.htm and look for "neo-wedge" bulbs; the Type B/T4 are the right size for the fog light and rear defogger illumination bulbs. Go about half way down; most of the ones you will see are LED, but there is one section that has bulbs. Right below the regular bulbs is a section for "tall" bulbs that will work in the headlight and the 4WD switch.

To replace the bulb, you have to pop off the radio bezel; unscrew the mounting bracket that holds the three switches to the bezel (have to pull rear window wiper knob off); then pop the switches forward out of the bracket. On one side of the switch you will then see a small circle with a slot in it; turn it less than a quarter turn and pull it out and you will see the bulb. If you choose to use LEDs, polarity will matter - before you reassemble everything plug the switch back in and turn on the lights; if the LED doesn't light, remove it from the switch, rotate it 180 degrees; reinstall and retest.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response. Thaaaaaat's what I was expecting to be honest. If I have to order or buy a bulb for that, I might as well just use LED. I was just looking if it was a quick swap in or not, which apparently really isn't. Thanks, I'll check sometime over this holiday and see what I can do.

Bob thanks much. I just noticed my rear wiper switch intermittently working and like varsity, my rear defroster not working at all.

thanks to you both

shooked<///><

does anyone know if these are the same bulbs needed to replace the cruise control lighting on the steering wheel?

The bulb is replaceable; but neither Ford nor auto parts stores sells the bulbs for some reason. Go to http://autolumination.com/74.htm and look for "neo-wedge" bulbs; the Type B/T4 are the right size for the fog light and rear defogger illumination bulbs. Go about half way down; most of the ones you will see are LED, but there is one section that has bulbs. Right below the regular bulbs is a section for "tall" bulbs that will work in the headlight and the 4WD switch.

To replace the bulb, you have to pop off the radio bezel; unscrew the mounting bracket that holds the three switches to the bezel (have to pull rear window wiper knob off); then pop the switches forward out of the bracket. On one side of the switch you will then see a small circle with a slot in it; turn it less than a quarter turn and pull it out and you will see the bulb. If you choose to use LEDs, polarity will matter - before you reassemble everything plug the switch back in and turn on the lights; if the LED doesn't light, remove it from the switch, rotate it 180 degrees; reinstall and retest.

Good luck.

Ok this is stupid question but on my exp the lights look green but I swear that when I took the bulb out of the 4x4 switch it looked like the cover was blue so which one is it. I have been looking for these bulbs for a while both my 4x4 switch and light switch are out. Thanks for posting the info.
Cruiser

i just replaced both my rear defogger and fog light switch bulbs with T-3 bulbs from auto illumination. someone recommended purchasing the T-3 blue colored bulbs as they more closely matched the OE green. this turned out not to be true, as the light looks pretty much white at night. i also found the T-3 bulb mounting base to be slightly smaller that the OE bulb and that if i turned the bulb's base into the socket all the way the light wouldn't work (due to loss of contact). maybe the T-4 bulb would be a better fit (???) but the T-3 bulbs did work and it's better than no light at all.

the OE bulbs have a small vinyl cover over the bulbs, which give them there green color. i tried to swap the cover over to the new bulb, but they tore during removal. pleae let us know what you end up doing.

I don't remember what thread it was in, but RadioShack sells the bulbs you need for the various switches. I don't remember the exact ones, but it was a two-pack for like $3 and perfect drop in replacement. The only hard part is getting off the little green cover...

"maybe the T-4 bulb would be a better fit (???)"

the OE bulbs have a small vinyl cover over the bulbs, which give them there green color. i tried to swap the cover over to the new bulb, but they tore during removal. pleae let us know what you end up doing.

T4 is the proper size for those bulbs. If anyone has a reliable method for removing the colored "mouse condoms" I have yet to see it posted here. I can successfully get 1 out of every 5 or 6 off, if I am real careful and hold my mouth just exactly right. Good luck.

does anyone know if these are the same bulbs needed to replace the cruise control lighting on the steering wheel?

No, they are not. I was not able to successfully open up my CC switches to replace the bulbs; ended up destroying the switch body. Ended up getting new switches from Joe Dirt on this site.

bulbs

T4 is the proper size for those bulbs. If anyone has a reliable method for removing the colored "mouse condoms" I have yet to see it posted here. I can successfully get 1 out of every 5 or 6 off, if I am real careful and hold my mouth just exactly right. Good luck.

Thank you all for your insight into this. I am getting ready to take the LED plunge in my '97 Mountaineer. Couple of questions.

Are these LED bulbs from Autoillumination plug and play ,ie, no need for soldering in resistors, etc?

Just so I am clear, I will need 1 "tall" bulb (type B/T4) for the headlight, and then one of the "not tall" ones for each of the rear defrost and the foglight? What about a bulb for the rear wiper?

Is the difference between bulbs that seem to be otherwise the same on that website just related to bulb quality (eg there are $3.49, $2.99, $1.99) ?

Thanks for everyone's help.

These LEDs are plug and play, no extra resistor, soldering, etc. They have the same mounts as the existing bulbs. Only trick is to get the polarity correct, as LEDs are "diodes" and only conduct in one direction.

The "tall" bulbs work in the headlight and 4X4 switches. The bulbs for the rear defroster are different - and I don't remember exactly how.

Re the "price" difference - I think the bulbs are different sizes, etc.

Good luck.

Back