Rear Diff Guards

Xplodor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT 4x4
Anyone protecting their rear diffs? If so what are you using? If it is something your bought, please list manufacturer and if at all possible (I know, I Know, beggers can't be choosers) list a part number.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Either or. I'm leaking diff fluid, and I know I nailed it pretty hard. Thank god I have to re-gear it in 3 weeks, but I want to make sure it doens't happen again.

Do a search. I bought one and so did a couple of other people. If you can't find it I will try and look up the info for you. But I posted a thread on this a while back. I think they were $80. Strong as hell!

You know a pumpkin basket would be nice. I'm not so convinced that the diffguard will protect it from peeling off. Where can I get a basket or slider? I know Rhino makes them but not for the Explorer.

Cory, Would yours be able to work even with one of those Aluminum diff covers (SVO / TA / etc.) The bolts on those are countersunk, so it makes mounting a traditional diff guard a little difficult.

I'm talking about building a cradle that goes under the entire pumpkin (will lower your clearance by 3/16") and will come up to protect the bottom side of the diff cover.

It will bolt around the axletubes.

I know you all have probably seen this one, but I like it... just can't afford it right now. Is this what you are talking about Xplodor? Is this like one you could build Cory? If so, anything less than this one would rock. But I like it's design.

Dead Link Removed

Here is one that a few people from here have gone with....

Dead Link Removed

I Plan to go with it as soon as I can find some more $$....

i like the first design better, the second looks as it would only protect in reverse, you could prolly still peel the diff cover off going forward. My diff is leaking a lil too from when the dealership had to replace my pinion gears and such,

Cory, I would be interested in a skid plate for the 8.8.
Let me know if you come up with a design, I plan to get some sliders too, but not until my current projects are complete.

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll have something.

I need to find a Ranger/Explorer 8.8" to use since my D60 would be a little big. :D

I have a buddy with a Ranger I can crawl under.

I got an 8.8" too cory ;)

PM me if you want my #

Cory,

Speed is of the essance. Please sign me up for the first one since I brought this to your attention. =) JK

Yeah, the less clearance we loose the better. I like the idea of a basket just because you can still damage the rear diff with a diff guard.

Cory, be aware of the following please:

-Rangers are sprung over, please make sure it will work with us sprung under rigs as well
-Some of us still have our factory sway bar, and some have an upgraded sway bar (I have factory), please make sure it will work with that as well
-Watch out for brake lines and ARB lines yatta yatta
-Most of all THANKS for helping us out!!!

Cory, if you don't get the measurements by the Sept run, you can look at mine since I'll have the Explorer there. I have one of the diffy guards installed on mine too, if that helps at all...

Attachments

• guard.jpg
    guard.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 270

Originally posted by Yomie
it looks as it would only protect in reverse, you could prolly still peel the diff cover off going forward.

WHAT???
How would you do this when the mounting plate of the Diff Guard is made from 3/8 in thick steelplate..... you try bening 3/8 in thick steelplate, its not Easy!!!

Originally posted by CBoug76

WHAT???
How would you do this when the mounting plate of the Diff Guard is made from 3/8 in thick steelplate..... you try bening 3/8 in thick steelplate, its not Easy!!!

:D Your right, didn't think about that one

Oh, you'd be amazed. Granted your right, but there is a chance that you can come down on your diff pretty hard and do some damage even to the bolts if not the diffguard. I've seen it happen on some trails even with big protectors like that, diffs can still leak. I plan on doing Swamp Lake, and Moab next year, and just want the best protection. I had a pumpkin basket on my j##p, and whenever I heard scrapage, I knew I didn't have to worrie about it back there. This is just my opinion and my preference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in for the basket style. Where exactly would the brackets go on the axle? Just wondering if it would work for me since I have welded shock mounts just inside of the old swaybar attachment points.

Back