Rear diff oil change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear diff oil change

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
The first time I change oil in a rear differential. They tell in the haynes book to put the little finger in the filling hole to check the level. I tought of something else. I already made the gasket and bolted back the diff cover. So my question is...If i fill it up with a rubber tube and a funnel until it got out of the filling tube is it ok? I mean if it fall of the filling tubeit mean thats its full no?
Help me with that one please.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats pretty much what i did took about 2 and half quarts

...when it began to drip off the filling hole did you bolted it back or you waited it to stop dripand then after that you bolted it back?

It doesnt really matter if you wait or just fill it up .. the difference is minute.

When you replace the cover because the gasket is leaking, { :p } make sure you fill it the same way you did. It's fine.

-Joe

To much oil can produce to much pressure and you could end up blowing a seal in the DIFF or the Axle.
Thats what the breather tube is for -- the axle isnt sealed

To much oil can produce to much pressure and you could end up blowing a seal in the DIFF or the Axle.

wont happen as long as ur breather tubes are not clogged

Even if it WAS sealed (which it's NOT), more oil would likely produce LESS pressure because the air expands far more than the oil does as it warms up. Less air would generate less pressure change with the temperature increase.

-Joe

Ok so if its not sealed i can use the breather tube to fill it up then?When i putted the bolt back i didnt waited until it stop drip i tought i bolted it back when it had only a small drip remaining. So you are telling me that anyway my breathing tube will do the job of an overflow??? Thank you guys :)

Ok so if its not sealed i can use the breather tube to fill it up then?When i putted the bolt back i didnt waited until it stop drip i tought i bolted it back when it had only a small drip remaining. So you are telling me that anyway my breathing tube will do the job of an overflow??? Thank you guys :)

No you can't/shouldn't use the axle breather vent tube to fill the diff. There could be crap dirt debris in the tube that you'd be forcing back into the axle housing :nono: All you do is squirt the gear oil into the fill hole until it drips out. The vent tube is not an overflow, but a vent to prevent pressure build up within the axle housing...

Ok good for the infos...anyway you are telling that its not a overflow but mine vent flow is dripping oil anyway so its an overfow anyway :D
Ok good for the seal anyway heres there is a dump where they put broken cars and trucks to be send to a scrapyard. because i am currently in a small native vllage...so the parts are free and that mean that i have got a free differential :) i will change it. i have a 3.23 its too low for uphill so im gonna change the gears with a f150 truck.
Thank all the halp guys

Eric

Too much oil cannot build significantly more pressure than too little oil. I

f the breather tube is plugged, it'll build up pressure whether you have too much, too little, or no oil at all.

The breather tube is located near the top of one of the axle tubes (or on some axles, at the top of the housing). If you're putting enough gear oil in such that it comes out the breather tube like an overflow line, the diff would have to have both axle tubes nearly full, which would require at least three or four gallons of oil. Furthermore, at the point at which it would blow out the breather from being filled from the fill plug, the oil would have to be at least a couple of inches higher than the fill plug... difficult to do to say the least.

Too much oil has nothing to do with the seal's integrity. The seals don't care how much oil there is in the housing. They only care whether or not there's pressure behind them, and if there is, that's the fault of the breather. The fact that oil gets forced out past them when the breather is plugged has nothing to do with the level.

Now, if you want to talk about specific volumes, say you add the precise 2.8 quarts of fluid (or whatever volume your particular axle calls for). How do you know how much fluid was left in the axle? What was caught by the bearings? What volume was coating the internal parts? How do you measure that? Or do you drain the axle, clean the internals piece by piece, reassemble it, and then fill the precise volume without spilling a drop?

It's an axle. It doesn't care that you're an ounce or two over the recommended fill volume. It's an axle with bearings and gears, not a Swiss watch!

To much oil will build to much pressure and can blow the seals... sure not right away... but maybe within 6 months to a year.
There are differential covers out there who's fill plug are higher than stock fill plug which allows for more oil volume .. these are common in off-road rigs. Simply put, as long as the axle is able to breath, then you should not have any problem blowing seals.

Ok now i understand...so if i understand well i should dont give a #### about the amount:p now the only thing i need is to look when i will change the differential.

Back