• Register Today It's free!

Rear diff. shock

SAN2CCI

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited AWD 5.0
While changing my shocks yesterday, I noticed a differential stability shock. I did'nt know it was there. I can't seem to find it at various parts companies. Does anyone know exactly what it is be called?

Grazie!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Napa has them listed on their online parts system.

I have removed mine and can't tell any difference.

I probably wont notice anything either, but I'll feel better knowing I changed all of them. I think it's a phsycological for me :D

Thanks Evan!

All I can find on the Napa site, other than regular shocks, is a steering damper type shock. Nothing about the rear end stabilizer, although this steering shock does have the same type mounting setup. Can this be used in the rear?

Monroe P/N SC 2958

i payed $60 can for myne from the dealership, i noticed a difference

pep boys has it listed as a axle damper if that helps.

napa sells the monroe part #SC2958 list it for $73.10

dang man advance has it for $35 lol

hey mine has it too. also i have two rods that go from my frame down to the rear axle. now i know that these are not the anti-sway bars because i have them on the rear axle as well. now i just did the TT/Shackle lift and but 31/10.5 toyos on it. I gues what i need to know is can i take the anti-sway bar and these other bars off.

I just got shocks..that third shock was bad on mine. It's on amazon for like 20 bucks but I didn't do it yet and there's no issues w/ it. I don't think it's needed.

hey mine has it too. also I have two rods that go from my frame down to the rear axle. now i know that these are not the anti-sway bars because I have them on the rear axle as well. I guess what I need to know is can I take the anti-sway bar and these other bars off.

The bars that are on the front of your rear axle are called "anti-wrap" bars. They keep the axle from turning excessively on your leaf springs when you accelerate. Sort of like a factory installed "traction bar". You could take them off, but I would not recommend taking the rear swaybar off if you are going to drive this truck on the street. If you plan on using the truck on and off road, there are swaybar disconnects available so that you can connect them for on road, and disconnect for off road.

See: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183659

what if one was to place a solid link in there?

I probably wont notice anything either, but I'll feel better knowing I changed all of them. I think it's a phsycological for me :D

Thanks Evan!
My 2000 Explorer has a vibration on the passenger side like a tire out of balance. I took it and had the tires balanced, better but still there, I looked at the damper shock and it is shot and leaking. That is my next step, bought it on EBay, same one Napa has.

^ That shock being shot shouldn't cause vibration. On my '98 I did notice a little more planted rear end when I replaced mine (which was also leaking and practically no resistance to it at that point), but no vibration.

In what situations does it have this vibration? Accelerating, decelerating, all the time, etc? Do you just feel it or hear something too?

At its age, it may be due for wheel bearings and/or hub(s).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ That shock being shot shouldn't cause vibration. On my '98 I did notice a little more planted rear end when I replaced mine (which was also leaking and practically no resistance to it at that point), but no vibration.

In what situations does it have this vibration? Accelerating, decelerating, all the time, etc? Do you just feel it or hear something too?

At its age, it may be due for wheel bearings and/or hub(s).
iirc, and i dont remember well, but i feel like that was added as a vibration damper for the 1st gens to cure a at speed vibration, but though tit was resolved for 2G. wonder if that issue is because of that? not sure

Back