Rear diff symptoms, fix recommendations needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear diff symptoms, fix recommendations needed

Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
A strange minor rumble has begun emitting from my rear axle. It is only noticeable upon switching from Reverse to drive, usually on a hill when the drivetrain is under load. When I lightly roll onto the throttle after switching to Drive, I can feel a slight vibration coming from the rear end that disappears once the vehicle is in motion. I have a suspicion that the clutches in my LSD may be on the way out.

I have been contemplating switching to the automatic Aussie locker in my rear end. Has anyone ever installed this unit? Aside from the locker and open carrier, is there anything else required to do the swap? Do any of you have any other suitable locking differentials (selectable or otherwise) that you might recommend? Is a different gear oil used when switching to a locker and open carrier? I'm currently filled with Royal Purple severe gear 75w140. Thanks for any help and pointers in advance.

-Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump

I installed the Aussie locker in my rear diff, and love the performance over the past few years.

If you are running a limited slip carrier now, however, the Aussie is out. The carrier is different from the open carrier, and the Aussie is only designed to fit the open version.

http://www.aussielocker.com/index.php/lockers/aussie-locker-xd-48831.html

There might be some other options that don't require a new carrier, but I'll let other way smarter folks jump in on that topic.

:exp:

Have also been considering Eaton's TrueTrac LSD. Deciphering my door sticker axle code "D2" has determined that I have the 4.10LSD rear end.

Have also been considering Eaton's TrueTrac LSD. Deciphering my door sticker axle code "D2" has determined that I have the 4.10LSD rear end.

If you're going for a LSD, why change from the 8.8?

I read somewhere on this forum where you can add an extra clutch disc in the LSD pack for more bite then leave out the pre tensioner spring so it doesn't drag.

I'm a little confused by these responses. I'm talking about my rear 8.8 diff which contains 4.10 gears and Ford's limited slip differential from the factory. I last changed the rear diff fluid in April of 2014, when I installed the new G2 axle and gear rear diff cover. U-joints were also done last summer.

I'm looking to determine which aftermarket differential might best suit my application. Mostly highway and on road driving, light off road, and intense winter driving often in snow a foot deep or greater.

Thanks all for contributing to the discussion! As yet I have no plans to modify my front axle beyond what I've done already to the accompanying chassis parts.

I'm a little confused by these responses. I'm talking about my rear 8.8 diff which contains 4.10 gears and Ford's limited slip differential from the factory. I last changed the rear diff fluid in April of 2014, when I installed the new G2 axle and gear rear diff cover. U-joints were also done last summer.

I'm looking to determine which aftermarket differential might best suit my application. Mostly highway and on road driving, light off road, and intense winter driving often in snow a foot deep or greater.

Thanks all for contributing to the discussion! As yet I have no plans to modify my front axle beyond what I've done already to the accompanying chassis parts.

If it is the chatter that bothers you, you might add some more friction modifier to the fluid. If you didn't add any at all, I bet this is why the chatter is happening.

There is one lunchbox locker that will work in a LSD housing, but it is close to 500.00

Powertrax 9206883128

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-SLIP-LOC...1-SPLINE-/251544641970?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Ok thanks Turdle. I'm leaning more towards aftermarket LSD. When I did the fluid change, friction modifier was not added as the synthetic fluid used claimed it contained the required modifier. I could always try adding a bottle and see if it resolves itself. One important thing to note might be that I live in eastern canada where it is currently regularly -25celsius and colder. The observed shudder seems to have materialized with the onset of these colder temperatures. That, and poor cold starts, I often need to blip the throttle once or twice to get the engine up to rpm. As all manifold gaskets have been replaced, I am also suspicious that my fuel pump may be on the way out. Gotta love cold winter's effects on our vehicles huh?

Also, I have yet to determine if I have 28 or 31 spline axles.

Settled on the Detroit truetrac LSD if the friction modifier additive does not resolve my issue. I like the clutchless design and overall build quality. When that time comes, I will take advantage of an opportune time to also replace the axle shafts and all associated bearings and seals with something more heavy duty. This should prepare the rear end for the eventual high horsepower engine swap I've been saving for since I bought this thing. Thanks everyone.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dtl-913a561/overview/

Will this unit fit in both a LSD carrier and a standard carrier?
I really get confused by what does, and what doesn't work in each style of dif.

Please keep us up to date on your thoughts with your install and review of this product if you go ahead with it.

My understanding is that it will fit in the LSD carrier, and that installation of a locker would require swapping to an open style carrier. I could be wrong as I have only recently familiarized myself with the inner workings of the 8.8 as I have yet to delve into modifying this part of my truck, save for the aforementioned upgraded rear diff cover. In researching this upgrade, I did learn a lot about the different types of differentials on the market, and their mechanisms of action.

Being shortly after the holidays, my disposable income does not allow for immediate expenditure on parts, but this is definitely something I'll be pursuing in the not-too-distant future to appropriately prepare my rear axle for future high horsepower applications. When I do the rebuild, I will certainly report findings to the forum!

Back