Rear Differential: Bearing/Shim/Spacer Spider Gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential: Bearing/Shim/Spacer Spider Gear

99XSP

Reaction score
City, State
Mishawaka, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XL Sport
Folks,

I need a part which seems to be hard to find. I am trying to describe it as it was explained to me by my mechanic.

My rear differential ('99 Explorer Sport, not non-slip axle) blew a washer next to the spider gear.

There are different names for this item out there. Either washer, also called spacers/shims, which are sort of the bearing for the spider gear. I was told there are a total of 4. Mounted behind each spider gear to allow them to move freely.

All the stores my mechanic or I talked to so far wanted to sell the entire rebuild kit (about $400). But my parts are either new (driveline was completely rebuilt) or in excellent shape.

I just need these 4 washers (or whatever they are called). These are NOT THE SPACERS SHIMS!

Anybody have any idea where I can get this part?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Greetings!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old parts?

You might be able to find them at a junk yard possibly or maybe another member that doesn't want to hang on to their spiders if they upgraded to a locker. As much as I'd like to help out, I want to keep my spiders in case anything were to happen to my locker.

Well, I checked with some junk yards already. Most of them don't know the part, and all of the ones I talked to told me I could check their vehicles.

Now I'm not interested in getting an old SUV up and differential apart to either find a already worn part, or excessively used (abused) one. Like I said, I had everything rebuilt/replaced (as needed of course). So I would prefer a new part.

Worse scenario would be to buy the kit. Which makes me think, upgrading to a locker, would that be possible by buying the corresponding kit? If I have to, I would certainly go with a non-slip axle. Heck, it's ControlTrac. Want the thing to do ALL the work for me LOL Winter is coming!

Thanks!

Well then

If you're planning to get a locker, I'm assuming that this is an open differential. Those bearings that you're talking about are not necessary in the install of the locker. If you're going lunchbox anyways. The cheapest locker that I've found is the Aussie locker, and in all honesty I've seen nothing but good things about it and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It is really quiet, I rarely hear it unless there's not much extra noise and I am parking. Towed the trailer for the first time with it this weekend and it was smooth as ever. Got the boat right back up the ramp no problem. Much better than that open diff did, had to lock in 4-Hi to get the boat up that ramp before. Very very smooth, just remember to keep an eye on tire pressures.

In the winter a locker has been said to be a bit squirrely. Haven't had any first hand experience with it yet, but to me that just means remember it's back there, take corners easily and don't gun it (unless you're in a big open parking lot :D) Shipped to my door I think it was about $280. And the install was pretty simple, but I'm kind of dumb and messed up. In the instructions when they say square slots they mean the oval more open type slots, put the pins in those first then slide them into their seats then put the springs in. And make sure you've got it all right before you pop your C-Clips back in. I ran Royal Purple 75w-140 in mine. Any ratio above 3.73 is supposed to use that lube according to my owners manual, I moved up to it, just for added protection.

Well good luck, Check into the Aussie if you're serious about a locker, definitely a good one, very strong and warranted even with larger tires and extra HP.

I do have a diff with knocking pinion-the actuall diff unit os good though. It is laying around waiting to be scrapped-

the end caps and bearings should be fine. What exactly do you need?

These washers sit behind the spider gears and provides interface between the spider gear itself and the carrier housing.

I dont know if its available separately but I've found it with a set of spiders at Bronco Graveyard:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32320A_ford_8_8__standard_spider_gear_kit__31_spline.htm

88SPDRGRKIT.JPG

Thanks for the input.

@IZWxxx: Thanks for the picture, I will show it to my mechanic to see if the part he needs is on it, and if so, which one it is (the pack wont fit my Explorer though).

@JTSxxx: I'll get back with you once I have figured out which parts I need.

I was also told that the dealership might be able to order the parts individually. They are currently trying.

Will let you know asap. I will check with my mechanic this evening.

Thanks again!

Greetings!

Okay, I tried to link a picture, couldn't get it done right. Too complicated.

@JTSxxx: I need the 2 "washers" or whatever they are called at the bottom of ICWxxx's pictures. Was told they run about $18 each, so I guess I would go with that, once I know they can get them.

Still no answer from Ford.

Greetings!

Washers/Shims

I have a Lsd carrier that is wasting space in my garage.... and i think the shims are the same... lemme know

I've got the kits too 97.90 theyre Yukon.

Thanks all! This all sounds good.

Am waiting for my mechanic to get back with me. Had a minor injury at work and is only partially in. Will let you know.

ERICxxx, the kit sounds good. Yukon is the manufacturer? The kit would be regular axle, not non-slip, right?

Greetings!

Guys,

Thank you all for your input. Since I have pretty much everything rebuilt/new in my driveline, I decided to go with the entire kit. The spider gear was the only item in my driveline not being touched, as it appeared to be in very good condition.

Now, by adding a new spider gear kit, all internal parts will be brand new.

Thank you also for the offer of used ones.

Great job with the pictures. They helped a lot.

Greetings!

possibly I've got a dumb question but I wanted to clarify something. Is this spider gear kit made for a 4L10 limited slip unit? Mine has some pretty chewed up gears in it that are leaving a pretty ugly looking metal film in the oil. It's been a while since I looked at it, but I think it has a big flat spring in between the gears and is mounted inside the LSD unit.

Thanks

possibly I've got a dumb question but I wanted to clarify something. Is this spider gear kit made for a 4L10 limited slip unit? Mine has some pretty chewed up gears in it that are leaving a pretty ugly looking metal film in the oil. It's been a while since I looked at it, but I think it has a big flat spring in between the gears and is mounted inside the LSD unit.
That gray sludge / film thats stuck to the magnet is normal -- its in just about every differential, transfer cases, etc...

I understand that part, done a few in the past, however the spiders are shot and small pieces are missing. A year ago it had some pitting on the surface which was obviously bad, but a few months ago I checked on it and now the pitting has turned into small pieces missing.... soon it will be chunks. Anyways I was expecting a thick gray sludge but instead got silver metallic paint. Still had the usual sludge left over. No noises from it yet.

Back