Rear differential input shaft bearing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear differential input shaft bearing

Apexmaster

Reaction score
City, State
kirkland
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford explorer
So I need replace the rear differential input shaft bearing. On my door tag it says I havd D4 or 3.73 gears. However when I look for parts it says bearings is for all models? Is this correct?.
See image from carparts.com

Screenshot_20201119-093215_Chrome.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the same bearing will fit all 8.8 carriers regardless of gear ratios

Yes the same bearing will fit all 8.8 carriers regardless of gear ratios
Confusing description, "rear differential input shaft bearing": input shaft implies PINION SHAFT, thus pinion bearing; the whole ball of wax is the "rear differential". I have always seen the bearing we are considering here referred to as "differential carrier bearing". Maybe I'm a nit-picker, but until viewing his attachment, I thought pinion bearing.

Yes sorry pinion bearings. . Does anyone make a rebuild kit or bearing race kit?

How much do you want to spend lol

I'm on tight budget. Bare minimal. Looking just for pinion bearing races. Maybe side seals

Do I need case spreader??

1605933515445.png

Driveshaft attaches to PINION FLANGE, far right. Pinion has two support bearings, visible.

Axle shaft enters large bearing far left, one of two DIFFERENTIAL SUPPORT BEARINGS. Now, we are talking about the differential bearings. Yes, only outer races may be replaced, not desirable, however. Diff. bearings are preloaded by one of two means; here, by large threaded nuts, unlike 8.8 FORD DESIGN:

1605933978053.png

8.8 design above. Case squeezes against bearings preloading them. Case spreader is very desirable for proper repair work. "Shade-tree" method pries differential carrier out of case using crow-bar. Difficult to establish correct preload, and to re-insert carrier into case, must be hammered into place. Clearer?

I thought the 8.8 also has 2 pinion bearings.

I thought the 8.8 also has 2 pinion bearings.
As @donalds points out, it does, as do most automotive differentials. One exception is the Ford 9-inch, which has THREE pinion bearings, two straddling the gear, giving added support.

1606020571433.png

Here is a 9-inch pinion assembly showing the two tapered roller bearings, and the third straight roller bearing to the left end. The red bearing retainer bolts the assembly in the third member section. 9-inch is one of very few designs which allow pinion removal without disturbing anything else in the pumpkin. All three bearings are serviceable after pinion removal from the front, after driveshaft is removed. Very strong. Introduced in 1957, used until 1986, when it was phased out in favor of the 8.8". 9" was used across the Ford car line, F-150 trucks, and even the diminutive Mustang, Cougar, Falcon when supplied with big V-8s. A smaller version, the 8", similar in nearly all ways to the 9", was widely used in those smaller cars with small V-8s. My 1965 Mustang "K" model with 289 High Performance Engine was factory-equipped with a 9-inch, 3.89 ratio.

unclothed? On parts diagram im not seeing the 3rd small upfront bearing.

Back