rear differential leak

pb3

Reaction score
City, State
STL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 4x2 eb
hi all,

2006 2wd V6 with 58k miles. for the past 1,500 miles the passenger side rear axleshaft has gotten progressively wetter. today i could smell a light gear old smell and looked underneath and it was a mess. not yet dripping on the ground but flinging everywhere.

i checked above, towards the vent and it was all dry. oil seems to be coming from the axleshaft.

anyone else share this passenger side fail? driver's side looks great.

tia,
parker

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is not unusual for a half shaft/cv joint to fail at some point and then cause the differential seal to go bad too because of the excess vibration on it. The passenger side is the side that gets the majority of the driveline power if I remember correctly so it would most likely be the first to fail.

Could it be just the seal (o-ring) on the half shaft ?

You can pull the axle out of the pumpkin and replace just that.

Just the seal fixed my leak on the rear diff, pass side.

Just the seal fixed my leak on the rear diff, pass side.

how long (time/ mileage) has it been since the repair? did you replace any other items along the way?

Almost a year ago on the repair, still good. Not that many miles 6-7,000.
No other items replaced.
I have a knobby type tire sound going on, but that is probably unrelated to a diff seal.

It is not unusual for a half shaft/cv joint to fail at some point and then cause the differential seal to go bad too because of the excess vibration on it. The passenger side is the side that gets the majority of the driveline power if I remember correctly so it would most likely be the first to fail.

my '03 4x4 v8 had the factory LS in it, and it was the DS. but that was also ~100k miles when it developed.

Back