• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential Locker- How to?

Dylansav

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cities,Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I have a 98 4.0 SOHC 4WD Explorer and I want to put in a rear differential Locker. Does Anyone know how to do that? Ten minutes ago I didn't even know what one was...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no "how to install a locker" because it depends on the locker design -- "lunchbox" lockers like Aussie and LockRite for example are completely different from "selectable" lockers like the ARB. Selectable lockers are often full carriers which requite setting the ring and pinion pattern again, where as a lunchbox just replaces the spider gears.

If you are interested in a particular brand like the Aussie or an ARB, please do a search for them (on the forum and on Google or something).

If you didn't know what it was then how do you know you need it? The reason I ask is because it's not just a quick install..it'll take time and money and usually you'll get stuck while wheelin once, twice, three times before you decide you need lockers.

I'm doing a project truck and I have the time and the funds to go along with it. I already have been in some sticky situations and asked around on the forums for a solution to getting stuck. They responded with placing in rear differential lockers.

So how do you go about finding out which kind of differential you have?

You have a Ford 8.8 axle and differential.
It sounds like you still have a ton of reading to do :)

Time and money is a good thing but like izwack said you've got A LOT of reading to do. Any 8.8 31 Spline locker will work but you'll need to decide what your looking for. I've always preffered ARB air lockers but they ain't cheap. Stick w/ the poor mans locker for now and learn how to manipulate that e-brake.

You have a Ford 8.8 axle and differential.
It sounds like you still have a ton of reading to do :)

Live and Learn fellas!

That's why i'm on these forums eh? :D So I have a Ford 8.8 axle and are you saying that I can use the e-brake when necessary and kind of do what a rear dif locker can do?

I know I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this and I really appreciate your help.

I need to do some maintenance on my rear differential anyway...I need to replace the rear pinion seal. So if I were to put in the aussie locker (thank you for the site!), i could hit this too right?

So I have a Ford 8.8 axle and are you saying that I can use the e-brake when necessary and kind of do what a rear dif locker can do?
Using the E-brake or the regular brake pedal is kind of the reverse of what a locker does but I guess results in somewhat the same although not as (effective as a locker).

What the brake pedal does (either the E-brake or the regular brakes) is pretend that the wheel that is not getting grip (spinning away) is getting grip therefore transmitting a fraction of that torque (being wasted spinning the tire when its not getting grip) towards the side that is not rotating but has plenty of grip.

This technique doesnt really work too well and dont expect it to get you out of trouble half the time cauz it really only works maybe 2 or 5 % of the time when you just need that little bit more grip to move another half an inch or so.

Your not giving the technique enough credit..It's gotten me out of trouble plenty of times because I was running open diffs F/R.

Back