Rear differential noises | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear differential noises

I would like to see the bearings to

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Chris'97exploder For the most part, the ring gear looks good. The pinion appears to have a brown discolored spot on one tooth visible, localized overheating, on one tooth. There is a possibility that could "sing". I would get some 400 emery cloth strip, and polish that spot with a fingertip, as well as any other similar spots.

Please show the condition of the pinion bearings when you get them out. imp
Imp, I should have that put today, I did find my passenger side

Imp,
I will get pictures of the pinion bearing and race once I get them out, I did find that my race and bearing on the passenger side are pitted badly

20190209_084544.jpg

20190209_084618.jpg

Yep the bearings are shot really shot

What would pit a bearing like that, water contamination?

Over heating
Water
Over loading the bearings
Old oil
Or all

What would pit a bearing like that, water contamination?
@Mbrooks420 g
I would call it "spalling".

"Metal spalling is a process of metallic surface failure in which the metal is broken down into small flakes (spalls) from a larger solid body." This is especially applicable to extremely hard metal surfaces, typically high-alloy bearing steel like SAE 52100.

It is unlikely that both rollers and outer/inner races all became spalled together. Most likely, outer races went first. No doubt in my mind that those bearings produced noise. But cannot explain yet why noise was most apparent under load. Maybe never explained, on this one! :( imp

I just went through this it's the pinion bearings that caused the noise no doubt in my mind,
Here is a pic of the 1 year old kayo barring that failed in this manner

Every time I hit the gas it would whine
Let off and quiet

I may not be able to type it a whole paragraph
With a long answer but I do understand how it all works and how to build it correctly

As I said before replacement of all bearings is required

20190209_201006.jpg

20190209_200930.jpg

Back