Rear Differential Oil Leak? - 2013 XLT 4WD 3.5L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential Oil Leak? - 2013 XLT 4WD 3.5L

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford XLT 3.5L V6
Hi there,

I just noticed oil leaking from the Rear middle of the vehicle just above where the dual exhaust intersects. I have attached some photographs of the Leak. If anyone on the forum can give me advise on repairs/parts I would appreciate that. Thank you.

Its a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT Base Model. 4wd 3.5L with 225000 Km
oilleak1.jpg
oilleak2.jpg
oilleak3.jpg
oilleak4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to say "Welcome to the Forum." :wave:
Sorry, I can't help with the oil leak. Can't recall many members here being from Hamilton.

Peter

It may be your rear differential. That is where I would start looking.

+1 rear differential.

Your issue is most likely TSB 14-0057. I had it, took it in for repairs and now all is well.

Below is the TSB for you reading pleasure.
**********************************************************************************************

TSB 14-0057 (supersedes TSB 12-8-12)

ALL WHEEL DRIVE – FLUID LEAK FROM REAR DIFFERENTIAL VENT CAP – TEMPERATURES BELOW 0 DEGREES C (32 DEGREES F)

Publication Date: March 14, 2014

FORD: 2011 Taurus; 2011-2012 Escape, Fusion; 2011-2013 Edge, Flex; 2011-2014 Explorer, Taurus
LINCOLN: 2011-2012 MKZ; 2011-2013 MKT, MKX; 2011-2014 MKS
MERCURY: 2011 Mariner, Milan

This article supersedes TSB 12-8-12 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:

Some 2011 Mariner, Milan, 2011-2014 Taurus, Explorer, MKS, 2011-2013 Edge, MKX, 2011-2012 Fusion, MKZ, 2011-2012 Flex, MKT, 2013 Flex and MKT vehicles equipped with a 3.5L GTDI engine may exhibit an occasional fluid leak coming from the rear differential vent cap in temperatures below 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees Celsius) under certain conditions.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1.Inspect the rear drive unit for oil leaking from the rear differential vent cap located on the rear cover.
a.If only a light residue is found around the cap, this is normal. This article does not apply.
2.Remove and discard the rear differential vent cap from the rear drive unit cover.
3.Install a new rear differential vent cap.
4.Clean off any remaining residue.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
DB5Z-4022-A Differential Vent Cap

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

140057A 2011 Milan, Mariner, 2011-2012 Escape, MKZ, Fusion, 2011-2014 Taurus, MKS 2011-2013 Edge, MKX: Inspect And Replace The Rear Drive Unit Vent (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.
140057A 2011-2014 Explorer, 2011-2013 MKT And Flex: Inspect And Replace The Rear Drive Unit Vent (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.4 Hr.

WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
4022 42

I noticed yesterday that my PTO was leaking on the my exhaust when I was changing out to a Steeda rear sway bar. I haven't had any issues with the 4WD/AWD in this vehicle at all or any sort of jerking or hesitation. Since it's just leaking slowly, should I buy an entirely new one or just replaced seals/gaskets on it?

Ideally, I would like to take the cover off of it and clean it with a parts cleaner, tap a drain plug into it and replace the seals on it. If not, I don't mind buying a new one since it will be coming off the car anyway.

Are you referring to the rear differential or the PTU?

Peter

Are you referring to the rear differential or the PTU?

Peter
The rear diff if you want to call it that. The front is the PTU and the rear is the PTO. I notice almost everyone calls the PTO the rear differential.

I found a TSB covering my year that the leak my be from the vent when temps go down to 32F which I did experience about a week ago. I also had my front of my vehicle lifted for 3 days while I was working on my downpipes, which I'm also suspecting could be an issue.

If your rear gear box is leaking, its important to determine where from. There is the vent tube up top on some models which could be a leak point, but I think its more forward oriented as shown in this link. Best to get a mirror or micro camera and have a look if that's what you think. There is also the input and output shaft seals to consider.

I am doing a bunch of suspension refreshes on my 2014 XLT AWD and BOTH of the axle output shaft seals at the rear diff are clearly leaking. There is axle fluid all over the shafts at the seals, some slung around up there from spinning. I'm going to replace both axle seals because the knuckles, springs, shocks, and arms will be off and it will be an extra 10 minutes to stop the leaking and replace the fluid. The axles are supposedly easy to get off with a pry bar and a hammer. 2 quart bottles of 80w90 ($5) is more than enough to fill it back up. I even bought the 2 axle circlips ($1 at dealer) and the 205-816 plastic seal protector (ebay).

Good luck to you figuring it out.

Thank you. I took my car in and got it fixed. The following is the diagnosis plus the repair (Attached Images)

&temp_hash=354079dde1ab147175afae72b7eca5bc.png

&temp_hash=354079dde1ab147175afae72b7eca5bc.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 9.20.52 AM.png

axle.jpg

The rear diff if you want to call it that. The front is the PTU and the rear is the PTO. I notice almost everyone calls the PTO the rear differential.

I found a TSB covering my year that the leak my be from the vent when temps go down to 32F which I did experience about a week ago. I also had my front of my vehicle lifted for 3 days while I was working on my downpipes, which I'm also suspecting could be an issue.
Just came across this in a post. What is the difference between transfer case and PTU or power take off unit in vehicles? - Quora

Peter

PTU-O/Differential/Transfer-ma-bob semantics aside, anyone with motivation, impact wrench, a slide hammer, a breaker bar and pry bar can do this job. If you can get the axle nuts off, you're most of the way there. Here are some tips for those so inclined:

-Removing the spring and lower control arm entirely is the way to go. It's very full in there.
-The axles popped right off with a pry bar, a twist, and a few light taps. Cable ties can hold up the axle in the wheel well while you pop it out.
-The seals took some grimacing. As shown in this video, its important to first cave in one side of the ring a little bit to ease the outward pressure. He uses a prybar in that video, but I didn't. A grade 8 washer wrapped in electrical tape fixed to the end of a small slide hammer with two nuts does the trick. Hook the inside of the seal and bonk it out repeatedly. The L type seal pullers and the Lisle 58430 work well too. NOT THE BATWING-looking things at the local auto parts store, don't buy the batwing!
-Clean with no-scratch scotch brite pads and towels (small bit of brake clean).
-Pound the seals in with a rental seal installer & baby sledge. You have to smush the rubber face of the seal doing so. Once you've hit it hard several times, check that it's seated.
-Don't bother buying new axle circlips, nor the 205-816 seal protector, it doesn't even fit in my opinion. Seals come with plenty of red grease on their inside lip, you can even add a little more. Squirt 80w90 gear oil on the splines and push/bonk the axle in until it clicks. Fill 'er up and your done! Reassemble everything else.

Good luck. There's plenty of nuts/bolts requiring replacement doing this job. Definitely do that for safety's sake. I did. :cool:

I understand that but I'm referring to the name Ford states. Here is an example.

PTU and PTO are the same thing and in Ford vehicles it is in the front, attached to the transmission. In fact, here is another link, it is in the front. There's not much to argue about here. People in forums call the rear diff by the wrong names sometimes, but I've never seen the rear gear box officially called a PT-anything. The rear gear box attached to the rear axles is a "differential assembly" according to Autonation Ford White Bear Lake

Back