Rear Disc Brake Conversions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Disc Brake Conversions?

bgracen

Reaction score
Is there anyone who makes a complete rear disc brake conversion kit for the 91-94 explorer rear axle, or would I be better off just buying a whole axle from a 95 up explorer for $400? Thanks.
-Dube

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ExplorerExpress makes a rear disc brake conversion kit for the 90-94 explorers. I don't know how much it costs but got to http://www.explorerexpress.com and get their phone number and give them a call.

Ford makes one for the 8.8" axle, that I think was made popular by the mustang, but can also be used on the Explorer. It's only $300.00 too. There is a URL for ordering information, but I don't have. You might want to try getting this post moved to Modified Explorations, and maybe you will catch someones eye easier. I'm pretty sure I remember someone on here saying that they bought it.

Mat

Do a search on this site. This topic has been covered before. http://www.oemfordparts.com (Southwest Ford) sells them for about $360.00. Also, check the tech articles that were written by myself and Paul Gagnon. These should get you started in the right direction.

Brett, I found the thread from before... In fact it was one I started.... Has anyone installed this kit yet? I'm just curious if it's any good.

Mat

Mat,

The kit that is sold by Southwest Ford is the exact same thing that comes on 95 1/2-96-97-98-99-00-01 Explorers. It is a direct bolt on for the 91-94 Explorers and it has worked great for me.

What's the part number? I didn't find it on the Southwest Ford website so I called. They said they didn't offer it...

There is a good conversion from Currie Enterprises and there price is reasonable. It is essentially the parts that come on a '95 and up. It is also direct bolt on but, you will need to weld a tab on the axle tube for the connection of the flexible line from the caliper to the solid steel line from the rear T splitter. Any semi competent welder could do this for you. Plan on a whole day to do it in case you run into any problems. This would also be a good time to replace your rear wheel bearings. You will find them much easier to get out if you heat the axle tube slightly but, make sure you plug the end with some rags or the like so any oil etc. that heats up can be wiped out later. You will also need a new parking brake assembly they sell for $99.00.

Good Luck,
Brian

Back