Rear disc brake shields | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Rear disc brake shields

smalltownusa

Reaction score
City, State
Western Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4WD
Just replaced my front rotors, and pads. While replacing the rears I noticed one side had an axle seal leak.
So I figured out how to pull the axels, and replaced both the seals (a first for me).

When taking off the rear parking brake shoes I noticed that the hole for the pin that pushes through from the rear of the assembly through the slot in the shoe, and is held on by a spring clip is rusted out. It's stopping all progress.
I can see that to replace the shields I would need to pull the axels. Since I haven't put the differential cover back on removing the axels again wouldn't be much of a problem at this point. The problem is I cannot find any of the rear dust shields. Ugh !!!
I hope I am calling this part (dust shield) correctly I have seen mention of backing plate maybe it's the same thing.

Anyway if anybody has any ideas I'm all ears ! I have momentarily thought maybe I could place some sort of patch on the rear of this shield to keep the pin head from pulling through, but sure would like to do it right by replacing the rusted out shield.

Maybe if I loosened the bolts that hold the shield on I could slip some sort of U shaped metal under to cover up both pin holes, snug the bolt back down, and drill them out for the two pins ?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Those shields are probably not reproduced :( My bet is that you would have to find used ones in good shape, or start modifying as you already mentioned.

smalltownusa

Reaction score
City, State
Western Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4WD
Thanks for responding Rick. Searched high, and low nobody has any. As far as used parts around here with all the salt they are likely to be just as bad. Wish I has access to the bone yards down south or west where salt isn't used.

smalltownusa

Reaction score
City, State
Western Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4WD
Well I finally had enough time to pull the axel again, a little PB blaster a few days ago on the threads and they back right out.

Today probably in vain I'm going to ask the O'Reily parts store to compare a Dorman 924-230 with my rusted plate. Thought about repairing the old plate on the Sport Trac, realizing that would not work I pulled it. It's currently sitting in my home made electrolysis tank getting de-rusted. Love how the rust just falls off when you rinse it off. The majority of the old plate is solid.
Anyway my latest thoughts are trying to repair mine with epoxy. Once all the rust is gone and I now see bright shiny metal I'm thinking the epoxy will bond with the plate.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

smalltownusa

Reaction score
City, State
Western Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4WD
What is the part number?
For the rear Drivers side which I need the most 3L2Z-2B636-BA the right which I would replace since I have everything apart is 3L2Z-2B636-AA

I did soak the part in my home made electrolysis tub. I was trying to think how I might mix up epoxy and cover the plate. Maybe pie in the sky or should I say plate in the sky !