• Register Today It's free!

rear door wanted, UK spec.

UKExploder

Reaction score
City, State
near Liverpool,in the Wirral {England}
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited, US spec.
Hi all, does any1 know where I might get a rear door that will accept the UK registration plate? I have a Canadian made 1994 LE so it has a small spot in the bumper is all. :) Thanks for all info you may be able to give me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rear door...........

blueka, what year is is this from and would it fit my 1994 (Canada made) Explo' w/o any mods? I know you and, 'if we bend it, it may fit'........ha ha ha! :)

And how much do u want 4 it? :exp:

I'm not sure I want to try a 2nd gen. part on my 1st gen. Explo'. I don't want mine to leak either.......ha ha :)

I think i've actually bent the new door that's why there's a gap, I'm gonna take it off on sunday and belt it with a hammer,

As far as I can see, the 1st gen and early 2nd gen rear doors are the same anyway

Si

Well, your 'as far as I can tell' isn't definitive enough for me to try it. Thanks anyway though mate. :)

How come you do not just get a small 'us style' number plate printed, the little box ones, like blueka's pictures from spain show. This would save a lot of hassle of having to replace the old tailgate and wire up numberplate lights. The little number plate on the bumper look better in my opinion.

Ian,

That's a much better idea, I believe I will do that. I remember now what you mean from the pics, I like those better too. :) I just wasn't sure you could get them here. Thanks....:cool:

Alan P.

You might have to do a bit of Googling to find the specs but there are 2 legal sizes of digits for UK number plates. There's the size we all know from 99.9% of number plates on cars, vans, trucks, etc and there's a smaller size that is often used on motorcycles. Both sizes are legal on all vehicles (AFAIK) so a small plate might just do the job.
Try Ebay - I've bought rear number plates for trailers from Ebay sellers without the hassle of producing documents and ID. About £6 or £7 UK quids delivered.

Simon H

besides, you'd need to re-loom the roof to allow for the lights being in the rear door... which is a pain..

Si

I agree with you guys, I swapped 97 model wiring and wiper motor into my 99 truck(using a 93 hatch). My project needed a minor amount of wiring, and you really don't want to do that if there is an easier way.

The 1991-2001 hatches will swap, the seals match, it's just that the tail lights have different shapes, so gaps at the lights are created. What different mounting is on the "UK registration plate" style? The 1997 rear hatch would bolt on directly to a 1991-94, the wiring is a little different for the defroster and wiper, so avoid that unless you plan to do the wiring. Regards,

Thanks to all who have replied, I believe I will just do the simple thing & find the smaller plates to put on the bumpers. :)

cdw6212r, The 1996/1997 UK models have the number plate mounted on the left side of the tailgate in the middle, unlike the 1996/1997 US style ones that use the middle of the bumper to mount the number plate. The UK models don't have the number plate lights in the bumper, instead they are on the tailgate. The 1998 onwards are the same, as the number plate was mounted in the middle of the tailgate.

In theory you could swap it round, but you would have to wire number plate lights into the bumber and drill, which is a lot of work for such a small thing.

Back