Rear doors won't open from the inside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear doors won't open from the inside

smittyville

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Exp Sp Tk
Both my rear doors won't open from the inside. I've messed with the child lock switches, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, it might be because of the door control unit, which is the circuit board that is on the top of the winder mechanism. The problem is you cannot get that part separately, the solution to that is you have to replace the window winder motor to get your door open or close. Recently my friend had taken the lock system from the locksmith LA, and he is happy with the safe and he always used to say to me that the safe is of good quality.

Both the interior rear door handles were broken in my '01 ST when I got it. They're inexpensive and easy to replace. A sure sign that they're broken is that the part you pull on sticks out rather than laying flat. This is a pretty common issue with these handles.

The handles have a small plastic bump/tooth molded into them. This bump breaks off and then the handles don't work.

My guess would be that you have the child safety locks on. There is a white plastic switch on the inner frame of each door. The switch locks and unlocks the child safety door locks. try the switch and see if this fixes your inner door lock problem.

I have a feeling it is the inner handle that is broken. Common problem like Koda said. You'll need to take the door panel off (an easy 10min task). You can find a lot of info on here and youtube walking you through the processes.

I had this issue and the springs within the rear inside handles wore completely out. Was an easy fix honestly.

Back