Rear driver side shock absorber shot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear driver side shock absorber shot

dora51032

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 Explorer 3.5 FWD XLT
are the Rear shock oil type? recently my rear driver side rim have oil spot all over and my first suspect is brake fluid but when i remove the tire it was coming from the shock absorber. now my concern was it necessary to change it right away or I can still drive on this condition. I didn’t notice any discomfort on the ride though. Appreciate your input and advise.

p.s.: if the dealer replace the leaking shock should i ask them to replace the other side as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the shocks use oil for dampening and they should always be replaced as a pair. Shocks are not expensive and are actually a pretty easy job if you have some mechanical skills. I have read of a few cases of shocks having to be replaced on this forum but certainly not an epidemic of failures. It is a mechanical part with seals holding the oil inside so they will eventually fail.

My right rear shock leaked it's oil out at about 55k miles. I drove about another 4k before I got a chance to change it. It had the same 'feel' of resistance to movement as the driver side when I changed it, so I assume I had more time left in it.

I changed both myself with two KYB shocks that I got from Autozone with Lifetime Warranty.

Took about an hour and a half to change both, probably 45 minutes next time.

I took pictures, but I haven't gotten around to writing it up and posting it here.

I don't know if it's standard practice at all dealerships, but my sister in law's 28,000-mile Escape recently had a leaky rear shock replaced under warranty. I told the service writer that it was good practice to replace shocks in pairs. He agreed with me but said Ford will only cover replacement of the defective shock. Per my advice, my sister in law agreed to pay the dealer to also replace the non-leaking shock so she could have a matched pair of shocks on the rear of her Escape.

I don't know if it's standard practice at all dealerships, but my sister in law's 28,000-mile Escape recently had a leaky rear shock replaced under warranty. I told the service writer that it was good practice to replace shocks in pairs. He agreed with me but said Ford will only cover replacement of the defective shock. Per my advice, my sister in law agreed to pay the dealer to also replace the non-leaking shock so she could have a matched pair of shocks on the rear of her Escape.

i'm still under warranty and until now i didn't able to go to dealer, i thought of that also that they (dealer) will not replace the other side if it was not leaking or damage :)

My right rear shock leaked it's oil out at about 55k miles. I drove about another 4k before I got a chance to change it. It had the same 'feel' of resistance to movement as the driver side when I changed it, so I assume I had more time left in it.

I changed both myself with two KYB shocks that I got from Autozone with Lifetime Warranty.

Took about an hour and a half to change both, probably 45 minutes next time.

I took pictures, but I haven't gotten around to writing it up and posting it here.
@gatzdon would you take time to post pictures of the procedure. i'm under warranty and sure dealer will replace the leaking shock but i doubt if they replace the other side under warranty which was not leaking yet, so i might dyi and will not wait until it leaks. thanks

I suspect that it is normal practice to just replace the defective shock under warranty.

Peter

@gatzdon would you take time to post pictures of the procedure. i'm under warranty and sure dealer will replace the leaking shock but i doubt if they replace the other side under warranty which was not leaking yet, so i might dyi and will not wait until it leaks. thanks

I will create a thread when I get a chance. I was previously using imgur to upload pictures, but I guess my account there kept getting downvoted because pictures my intake air duct repair weren't funny enough.

With so few miles on the vehicle, I would probably just let Ford replace the one under warranty and let the other go.

The mantra of changing them in pairs stems from uneven performance, but with so few miles, it's the seals that are at issue, not the performance. When I pulled the leaky shock out, it has the same movement/resistance as the other non-leaky shock.

When the other goes, then you can replace both at the same time with a pair of aftermarket shocks that have a lifetime warranty. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for life, you will replace them a couple of times and it will make warranty replacement of the shocks much easier to deal with.

The Monroe (I know not the best out there) come completely assembled. Very easy to install. I have them on all four corners on my x and so far I'm pleased with them. Cheap too $$.

Back