• Register Today It's free!

rear end decisions..

btimm86

Reaction score
City, State
virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 explorer expedition
right now i have a 3.73 LS 8.8. Pretty soon here i'm going to start buying parts for my SAS. What would the best choice be as far as my rear axle is concerned? I was planning on re-gearing to 5.13's with 36's.
-swap gears, open 8.8 carrier, and aussie locker?
-swap gears, detriot locker?
-swap gears and that one locker that is LS carrier compatible?
-sell the 8.8 and get a 9inch, swap gears and aussie locker?

I know the 9inch would be the best choice but i'm trying to keep the cost and amount of work down. Ive heard amazing things about the aussie locker and not so amazing things about that one LS compatible locker.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4-swap gears, open 8.8 carrier, and aussie locker?
2-swap gears, detriot locker?
5-swap gears and that one locker that is LS carrier compatible?
1-sell the 8.8 and get a 9inch, swap gears and aussie locker?
3-swap gears, open 8.8 carrier weld spiders

I did #3

I went with aussie in the 8.8 but if I had the money back then, i'd probably go detroit.
The 9" would be a good swap because you wouldn't have to worry about speedo issues, but you would probably want to swap to discs if it has drums and get the parking brake working. If you're going full width on the front, the 8.8 would be pretty narrow and you'd most likely swap over to a different bolt pattern if you're going to run a D44 or stronger.

Need more info. It all depends on what front you are going to use. That will give you the best idea about what to do with the rear.

I'm pretty set on a grand waggy D44 front. Going full width on coils would be sweet but it looks like a lot more work. I need this to be completely streetable, so i think that takes welding the rear out of the question. if i were to just stick with the 8.8 id have to swap in an open carrier before i put in an aussie. would just going with a detroit cost the same?

You can get a Powertrax no-slip made for the 8.8 LS carrier so you don't have to do a carrier swap, it's also smoother than an aussie or lock-right, but a bit spendy.

Back