Rear end dragging when towing "With Pics!" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end dragging when towing "With Pics!"

save your money , put the car farther back than fasten it down well, problem solved,,

once you get it right,,, mark on the deck where it needs to be with spray paint, or chalk,,,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have monroe air-max shocks and a weight distribution hitch, and tow a 16' car trailer with a 1-ton truck on it a couple times a year, other than lack of power it tows like a dream. No problems with sway at all as long as a center the load. The rear of the truck hangs off the back of the trailer a bit, but there is enough room to strap it properly. They key to safe towing is setting it up properly, with the weight centered within a few inches, having a weight distribution hitch if needed and setting it up properly, and having trailer brakes and adjusting them properly for the load. Adjusting the brake controller every time you haul something different can be a pain, but safety is always job 1

To comment on corkey's comment, i wrapped tape on the side rails where the hubs needed to line up on my trailer before i removed them (had to go to haul a corn head for my uncle's combine)

Thanks for that spring info 01STrunner...;) So according to that chart I can use a 5 leaf pack from a 80-96 model F150 2wd and have a rating of 1 metric ton for each spring. Hell yeah.

I don't actually own a car trailer I just hire them from the gas station. The local gas station near me has a very nice car trailer where I actually can position most cars where I want them but the only problem is that particular trailer isn't avaliable all the time, so I get stuck with a piece of junk for a couple of hours and have to "make do".

I will definately be buying my own in a few months time.

I'd like to say thanks for all the replies so far, I'd never have thought dragging my ass along the pavement would attract so much attention.

if you try to go the h/d leaf spring route, your ride w/o the trailer will be terrible. i'd look for an option that doesn't ruin your normal ride (air bags, air shocks, helper springs), but no matter what you must first solve the tongue weight issue.

It's dangerous to be towing with that weight on the bumper of your explorer. That's way to much weight on the tongue of that trailer also. And moving the weight back will do more than an extra leaf in there.

omg, i didn't notice in the picture. please tell us you're not towing that load on just your bumper...

It doesn't appear to be on the bumper. If it was, the coupler would be where you couldn't see it in that top pic. (until recently I only ever towed on the bumper on our 1st gen)

As most have said already, cut down on the tongue weight.. Get about 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue.. That will get you down to around 300 lbs or so on the back.

Next, a load leveling hitch will help.. If that still doesn't do it, time for an overload spring.

~Mark

Its not on his bumper. Its a drop hitch turned around. No problem with the chart. Add a leaf would work a little better IMO than a whole new leaf pack because it doesnt stiffen up the ride when youre empty that much. Makes it ride more like a small pickup than an SUV basically.

It doesn't appear to be on the bumper. If it was, the coupler would be where you couldn't see it in that top pic. (until recently I only ever towed on the bumper on our 1st gen)

As most have said already, cut down on the tongue weight.. Get about 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue.. That will get you down to around 300 lbs or so on the back.

Next, a load leveling hitch will help.. If that still doesn't do it, time for an overload spring.

~Mark

yeah, on closer examination i see that it's not the bumper. i think, if you can get the tongue weight down to around 300 lbs or less, a set of air shocks would be cheap/easy way to go. at around 300 lbs you shouldn't need much more. i've had good experience with air shocks (under $100) but they seem to always eventually leak on me. helper springs are also okay as they don't really come into play unless you're overloaded.

I would never tow anything more then a box trailer using a bumper. The following pics are of my Tow Hitch. It is rated to pull 2500KGS with a down force of 250KGS. The tow hitch was factory fitted when the vehicle was purchased new.

DSCF3444.jpg

DSCF3446.jpg

DSCF3441.jpg

This is how my Explorer sits normally with no load.:D

DSCF3443.jpg

2500KGS is what 5200Lbs? I dont know how heavy that car is, but looks to me you are right up to, or exceeding the tow capacity of your hitch and truck. Of course, we all know there is a safety margin built into the rated capacities. Please do yourself and everybody else on the road a favor, and get a bigger tow vehicle if at all possible,if you tow loads like that a couple times a month.

If you need a load levelling hitch for the load on an Ex, you are seriously overloading that beotch. I know what they CLAIM as capacity but they are treating like an F150 instead of the Ranger it actually is. I tow a 3100lb boat and that is the MAX I would do on that chassis. I have even considered an F150 instead of the Ex because towing economy would be about the same and the V8 truck would have less trouble in the mountains.

I hope you hooked up the 7th pin or the trailers you use have surge brakes. If so then the ex is capable to pull that kind of load as long as it is distributed correctly.

For occassional use helper springs work pretty well to support the rear. A 1500 pound rated set should even you out and greatly improve handling. Ride without the trailer will be harsh so take them off when not needed. Definitely agree that trailer brakes would be a good idea for that much weight.

The only other things we have that can pull more load than the Explorer are Toyota Hilux/land cruiser, Nissan navara/Patrol, Falcon/commodore ute. But they aren't more powerful than the SOHC Explorer. Except for the 2.5L TD Navara perhaps.

If I wanna get a 1998 model f250 over here they want $70,000 for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only other things we have that can pull more load than the Explorer are Toyota Hilux/land cruiser, Nissan navara/Patrol, Falcon/commodore ute. But they aren't more powerful than the SOHC Explorer. Except for the 2.5L TD Navara perhaps.

If I wanna get a 1998 model f250 over here they want $70,000 for it.

That is absurd! I saw trucks on that link for 15k that would be 1500 over here.
70000 is nuts. Something like a 2000 f250 with 100k miles, even as a diesel would be 13000 bucks, definitely less if it was a gasser.

Back