rear end is broke. should i go full width or just rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear end is broke. should i go full width or just rebuild

MountainMonkey

Reaction score
City, State
canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
well i took my explorer out a week ago and broke some stuff lol. i did an soa and put around 1000km on it and then the welds on the new axel pads broke. happened right after doing a burnout on a cattleguard when the tires got traction on the pavement while spinning them across it. but anyways, the welds broke. axel twisted and broke the u joint thing on the back diff, also looks to be a slight bend in the driveshaft. so i strung the driveshaft up and drove her home in 4x4. on the way home i could hear a weird noise from the rear driveside and i figured i just burned out a wheal bearing, but upon inspection today it seams to be that all the internal parts in the drum bent/broke or disapeared.

so i plan on getting a sas done at a shop sometime this summer and i think i might go full width. so my question is... should i through a full width in the rear right now? or just replace the broken stuff and do the rear fw after the sas?

I would probably just buy a whole rear end assembly and swap in the whole thing. I don't know if this is realistic for your situation, but it sounds like the damage was catastrophic. Maybe you can get away with a factory axle for now and have whoever re-fab the soa setup later on.

ya it was pretty bad. forgot to mention the shocks bending an brake lines breaking. im suprise the whole rear end didnt come off while i was limping it home.

im thinking maybe getting a ranger axel thats already soa cause my welds obviously cant handle the force of the axel trying to spin when the trucks moving. and i need to regear anyways.

Back