Rear end noise

raineman28

Reaction score
City, State
Morehead
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey Everyone,

I got my son a 2002 Explorer 4wd XLT. We are having really loud noise coming from rear end. I have change out the diff fluid. Have lifted it and it makes no noise. Noise does get louder on turns. Noise does get louder and faster as gas is pushed. I was wondering if the rear diff for a 2001 explorer sport would work . I checked both VIN numbers and below are the ratio #s. Im not familiar with this so hoping someone could help out he is about to get his license.

02 Explorer- Axle Ratio :)1) - Rear 3.73, 3.55 3.55 min 3.73 max

01 Explorer sport-Axle Ratio :)1) - Rear 3.73 3.73 min 3.73 max

Diffs aren’t the same. Explorer sport has a solid rear, regular explorer is independent.

But it sounds like a rear wheel bearing. Which ever way you turn to make the noise louder is the opposite side bearing. Those bearings suck to change BTW.

Also if you have the 3.73 limited slip diff it will want slip additive to the gear oil. Door tag will have code for axle, or tag on the diff cover.

Or when the truck is in the air turn a rear wheel by hand. If LS both rear tires will spin same direction, non LS will spin opposite directions.

Spot on . The problem can be isolated by lifting the wheel a spinning each one . Abad bearing/hub will not turn smoothly and may move a bit when moved side to side .

Welcome to the failed rear wheel bearings club. If you let it go to long you will actually start feeling a sway in the rear. Trust me..

Back